About to add first fish - QT first tank inhabitants?

Ocicat

Premium Member
Do I need to QT the very first fish I add to my tank? It is possible they could bring in some sort of disease that could then take up residence in the display tank? Or could I just remove them to QT if they show signs of illness? (Obviously I'll wait a couple weeks before adding any more fish, so there would be a period where they could be moved and wouldn't be in danger of infecting any other fish.)

Also, is it OK to add snails, crabs, and a fish (or pair) all on the same day? The tank is a 180, so I am thinking this won't pose a problem as far as adding too much bio load at once...?

TIA

Definately QT the first fish. Start off on the right foot.

As for the bioload - that isn't going to make a dent in a tank that size.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8065023#post8065023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by old salty
Definately QT the first fish. Start off on the right foot.

As for the bioload - that isn't going to make a dent in a tank that size.
Ditto

If they had ich, you'd have to de-fish your main tank for 6 weeks, and any of them might catch it.

Put your inverts into the main tank [do acclimate!] and watch them for entertainment. Your fish are better in qt observation, which means in less time than 6 weeks, if no disease, you can put them on in. I'd qt-and-observe 1 fish or pair at a time. That's also the way they ought to go into the tank, so as not to spike the chemistry. Do not treat unless you see evidence of disease.

Back