About to add first fish - QT first tank inhabitants?

Ocicat

Premium Member
Do I need to QT the very first fish I add to my tank? It is possible they could bring in some sort of disease that could then take up residence in the display tank? Or could I just remove them to QT if they show signs of illness? (Obviously I'll wait a couple weeks before adding any more fish, so there would be a period where they could be moved and wouldn't be in danger of infecting any other fish.)

Also, is it OK to add snails, crabs, and a fish (or pair) all on the same day? The tank is a 180, so I am thinking this won't pose a problem as far as adding too much bio load at once...?

TIA

old salty

Genius
Premium Member
Definately QT the first fish. Start off on the right foot.

As for the bioload - that isn't going to make a dent in a tank that size.

Steven Pro

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8065023#post8065023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by old salty
Definately QT the first fish. Start off on the right foot.

As for the bioload - that isn't going to make a dent in a tank that size.
Ditto

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
If they had ich, you'd have to de-fish your main tank for 6 weeks, and any of them might catch it.

Put your inverts into the main tank [do acclimate!] and watch them for entertainment. Your fish are better in qt observation, which means in less time than 6 weeks, if no disease, you can put them on in. I'd qt-and-observe 1 fish or pair at a time. That's also the way they ought to go into the tank, so as not to spike the chemistry. Do not treat unless you see evidence of disease.