AC jr. software for web access now available

d0ughb0y

If you are using AC jr and has a serial connection to a computer, you are welcome to try this program I wrote to access and control my AC jr from the internet. You can access the controller web page via any browser (including wap browsers), and as a Google Gadget.

here are some screen shots.
on my verizon chocolate
IMG_1775b.JPG

IMG_1771d.JPG

as a google gadget

home1.png

photo1.png

please send me your comments (click email on my RC profile), whether it works, does not work, how it could work better, etc.

I created a web page for the program at http://sites.google.com/site/acserial2web

hope you find the program useful.

OK I have the software installed, Google Gadget on my desktop, I tried the add gadget link, but don't know where to go from there? I don't understand the part about:

"enter the URL to your main ACSerial2Web page. Make sure you use the external address if you want the Gadget to display information when you are using Google remorely."

Can someone help me out here?

if you can access the main page properly (you see your devices). Then all you need to do is enter the same url when you add google gadget.

for instance if after you successfully start the program, you are taken to
http://localhost:8888

then, you can enter
http://your machine ip:8888
you cannot use localhost as google gadget does not allow it.

if you still get an error using the above url, then try the full gadget url
http://your machine ip:8888/acserial2webgadget.xml

now ideally, you would want to use your external network address, but for testing purposes, you can add the google gadget using your internal address, granted it will only work in your home network.

Last edited:
on the admin page, is the serial port set correctly?

remember that serial devices works on "exclusive" ownership. So if you currently have AquaNotes running, it will not let this program access the serial port, you must quit all other programs that access the serial port.

it is set to com1 by default, you need to change it if the AC jr. is connected elsewhere. and just make sure you quit aquanotes, hyperterminal, and other programs that can open the same serial port.

I uploaded a new set of installers. It turns out version 2.2 of rxtx serial library is not compatible with neptune's serial isolator, so I have to repackage the installers to use version 2.1.7.

The programs should all work now, tested with wired and bluetooth serial on windows. :)

Program updated to version 0.92b. I added facility to help setup the serial port and email for email alert. once the program is configured, its pretty much set it and forget it. please pm or email me if you need help with configuring the program.

I will try again when I get back home later this week, but I still can't get the program past the "Admin" window. I will let you know soon. Thanks for your help already.;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14822409#post14822409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d0ughb0y
Program updated to version 0.92b. I added facility to help setup the serial port and email for email alert. once the program is configured, its pretty much set it and forget it. please pm or email me if you need help with configuring the program.

Does this change anything for me? I havent gotten into the email alerts yet but will once it starts getting warmer. I may test it here in a bit.

BTW everyone else I use it and it works great!!! I am using it on my blackberry pearl.

no you don't need to upgrade if it is working. 0.92 simply added some buttons to help in setup and the bug fix in 0.93 was due to a typo I made in 0.92.

Awesome! thanks again!

I am having a little issue with the Igoogle not working but I like to just leave up the full page in another window since I have so many odd feeds in there... For some reason it says "feed not found" or something to that extent... No big deal!! Now a vista gadget would be cool!

thanks for the info.

I tried it and it works nicely. no need to reinvent the wheel.
vista.png

I'll add this info to the website.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14835584#post14835584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PRDubois
If your ACjr does not have a serial port can you add one?

Maybe Curt can provide the official answer.

AC jr with no serial ports firmware can be upgraded by connecting a "serial" cable to the temp probe jack. This tells me the temp probe jack doubles as a serial port. This is the same on reefkeeper 2, but on rk2, you can get a splitter on that jack and connect a temp probe and serial cable full time. So if that is possible for the older AC jr with no serial port, then I suppose it will work.

It would be nice if that will work, I have seen no serial port AC jr. sell for $100 (with DC8) as it will allow more people in the hobby to afford using a decent controller.

Bump! Great program and I've been using it and loving it!! I know doughboy has put a lot of time, effort, and work into making this even better than it already is!

Back