Access to apex completely cut off

MJDiP

I got home today and my system was acting really weird so I decided to reload the firmware. Sure enough, the process got stuck on the 35th packet, so I shut down the flash utility. When I started it up again, the utility wasn't able to connect to the Apex unit. Now I can't web-browse, telnet, or use the display unit (it's been dead for while) to get into the system. The apex doesn't show up on my router's client list, either.

Any ideas on how I can reinitialize the system?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Apex powers up in bootloader mode; the mode the uploader places the Apex in when it updates. Start the uploader and if it goes into the counting mode (trying to connect) then reset the Apex and when it comes up the uploader should find it.

note: remember that the Apex must be hard connected to the network; you cannot update Apex firmware using a wireless connection.

Thanks Ken,

Will this work if the Apex isn't recognized on the network? It is hard connected.

I try when I get home tonight.

Here's the message I get when I try the uploader:

Loading firmware file into memory
Firmware file load complete...
Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector
Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector complete...

Operation failed with the following error information:

The host name or IP address is invalid.

So I don't even have the chance to start "counting" as you say... This seems to completely be a result of the network no longer recognizing the Apex.

The Green light on the Apex's ethernet cable jack does come on...

I think you need to contact Neptune. You don't have even the most minimal firmware in your controller anymore. I believe they have a special loader that will work even if your controller is a brick.

FYI - In order to fix this, all I had to do was change "apex" to the last know IP address, in the "Network Address" field of the Flash utility.

Have a nice weekend!

I was just going to say that; in fact for firmware update the address isn't used except to try to connect to a running Apex and place it into boot loader mode. In case of an Apex stuck in boot loader mode you can supply any IP address and it should work.

I have this same issue. I was updating my apex and it hung up for hours. Now I have no access...

It is now hung up after attemting the method above at:

Trying to connect: attempt 1
Found ARP entry at address: 192.168.1.171

I will be contacting apex tomorrow...

I have this same issue. I was updating my apex and it hung up for hours. Now I have no access...

It is now hung up after attemting the method above at:

Trying to connect: attempt 1
Found ARP entry at address: 192.168.1.171

I will be contacting apex tomorrow...

I am having the same issue, even with the .171 address.

Apex reported a brief power outage yesterday and now cannot access it at all. Status light is green, all 4 built in outlets in fallback mode, network port has a solid green light and an orange light. Running 4.10 firmware.

Im having the same issue now with trying to update. getting the "Found ARP entry at 192.168.1.171" Any help would be appreciated. I sent email to Curt as well.

Here are the instructions I got from curt at Neptune. Worked like a charm.

If you have the PC and Apex Mac directly connect you will need to manually configure the Ethernet port on your PC. Also you should off the wireless interface. Open the network and sharing center. Click on the Change adapter settings link on the left side of the network control panel. Select the local area connection and open its properties. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and bring up properties. On the Internet Protocol Version 4 window select:

Use the following IP address. Then set it to:

IP Address: 192.168.1.40
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

And set DNS to:

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1

Click OK on all the windows. Reboot the Apex controller. Put

http://apex

into your web browser and you should be able to get into the controller assuming you haven’t change the default IP address of the controller.

You can then attempt the firmware update again.

Back