acclimate brackish fish to salt water?

We have had marine fish for many years but i am looking to get a monodactylus argenteus for our 240 g tank. Monos are brackish water fish and we have had success previously keeping one in a marine tank. I want to get a new mono and i am wondering how to acclimate him, as the previous one we had was already salt-water acclimated. i read that brackish water is about 1.0004 salinity, so would that be a good value to start him in? how quickly can you progress to 1.023 -1.025? Days, weeks, a month?

Last edited:
We have had marine fish for many years but i am looking to get a monodactylus argenteus for our 240 g tank. Monos are brackish water fish and we have had success previously keeping one in a marine tank. I want to get a new mono and i am wondering how to acclimate him, as the previous one we had was already salt-water acclimated. i read that brackish water is about 1.020 salinity, so would that be a good value to start him in? how quickly can you progress to 1.023 -1.025? Days, weeks, a month?
I drip in mollies in 3 hours from fresh and they've always been fine. Some people just toss them in with nothing more than temperature acclimation and they're fine. So yes it's a different species but I would say from 1.020, 3 hours would be more than fine.

I drip in mollies in 3 hours from fresh and they've always been fine. Some people just toss them in with nothing more than temperature acclimation and they're fine. So yes it's a different species but I would say from 1.020, 3 hours would be more than fine.
Wow, from fresh, that is good to hear. i am glad to hear that it may not take as long as i thought to acclimate. TY

Monos will easily live in salt water and they are a hard fish to kill. When the hobby started I had a few of them in brackish and then when salt started I made their tank full salt where they lived for many years. I probably just added salt over a couple of days to get it to full salt water.

I recently bought 7 Monodactylus sebae to add to my 220 gal reef tank. I was thinking about going slowly with salinity increase. So far I've gone from 0 to 1.003 in 5 days. Heard at the LFS about someone killing his M.argenteus by tossing them to quickly in his reeftank. I was wondering if this may depend on their size? Maybe juveniles are more sensitive to salinity changes. On the other hand, I may be too causious.

Back