Acclimating Fish & VividAquarium.com Questions

karaim

I am thinking of making my first online purchase from Vivid Aquariums (vividaquariums.com). Anyone had experience with this vendor?

Also, when acclimating fish, I use the drip method, but I have never adjusted the PH of my QT tank to that of the water of the shipping container of the fish. I heard this is a good practice. I figure the PH of the water drops significantly during shipping and a PH adjustment might benefit the fish. Any thoughts on this?

It really depends on the pH of the water you receive the fish in. I don't think it drops as much as you are thinking, the bags are usually packed with oxygen (not just air). I think this would pull CO2 out of the water, but I'm no expert.

I don't think you want to raise pH of the shipping water. My understanding is that ammonia is more toxic at higher pH. Dilute that shipping water with good tank water as you acclimate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190348#post14190348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheH
It really depends on the pH of the water you receive the fish in. I don't think it drops as much as you are thinking, the bags are usually packed with oxygen (not just air). I think this would pull CO2 out of the water, but I'm no expert.

Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190528#post14190528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I don't think you want to raise pH of the shipping water. My understanding is that ammonia is more toxic at higher pH. Dilute that shipping water with good tank water as you acclimate.

Lisa, I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want to raise the PH of the shipping water, but rather lower the PH of the tank water (QT tank where there are no other fish). Not sure if this is a good practice.

I used to drip acclimate all my fish until I read on WWM about it.

Bob Fenner who I think usually knows his stuff recommends if the fish has been in the bag more then 8 hours to temperature acclimate it (put the bag in the tank and let the two equalize in temp) and then just place the fish into the water...

I lost a Harlequin tusk and a Achilles tang, both acted like classic either ammonia burn or pH problems, both were drip acclimated and different shipments, both were from Diver's Den of Live Aquaria so I dont blame the shipper. After those two fish losses, I started doing the 15 minutes to warm the bag up to equal temperature then just placing the fish into quarantine, and all my fish have been fine. I wrote in to WWM about it when I lost my Achilles and the guy who responded (I cant remember who, not Bob though) said that drip acclimating a fish that has been in a bag that long isnt recommended.

As Lisa said, pH raising makes the ammonia more toxic, and from what I understand also increasing oxygen does the same thing, so when you drip acclimate you're causing ammonia problems if there is a decent amount of ammonia in the bag.

However, if you just bought the fish at a LFS, drip acclimating is recommended.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'll continue to not drip acclimate anymore and hopefully my fish are all fine with it :)

Recty, it makes sense that slowly adding tank water with a higher PH can cause ammonia problems if the shipping water has ammonia in it. I guess that's why I was wondering whether to lower the PH of the tank to that of the shipping water - then there would be no ammonia problems due to higher PH. The only thing left to acclimate would be salinity.

I do a compromise. I think temperature acclimating then dumping the fish in the tank is too big a shock. I take most of the shipping water out of the bag, leaving enough for the fish to stay upright. Then I add about 20-25% tank water, while taking out an equal amount of shipping water every 10-15 minutes until most of the shipping water is replaced.

I don't know if this is the best way, but it works pretty well for me. I try to get the fish out of the shipping water asap, but get it temperature and pH acclimated too. I don't do 1-2 hour drip acclimations. I try to get the shipping water out, to dilute out the toxins fairly quickly.

I don't think I'd want to lower pH in my QT any lower than 8...

Ok guys.....here is what I do, and why I don't drip acclimate my fish. When you drip the water in it takes so long that the temperature in the bag can still cool off to the room air temp because it took so much time to drip the water in there. My local fish store has the best way and it is what I do. Take the shipping bag and set it in a container or mixing bowl of sorts, even a small bucket so it won't fall over. Get yourself a cup and put a cup of water equal to maybe a forth of the water in the bag volume every 10 or 12 minutes from your tank. When the water doubles in volume pour half of it out and keep putting a cup of water in the bag ever 10 minutes from your tank. In about an hour put the fish in the tank by hand or net but do not pour any of the bag water in your tank. This works very well. It helps to have a little kitchen timer to help one to judge the time which is only a guideline. Lesley

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Does anyone actually have any experience with VividAquariums.com?

What about saltwaterfish.com?

I believe VividAquariums has a better reputation than SaltWaterFish, but they're both up there. Try posting and looking in the vendor feedback sub-forum.

Back