Acclimating from a hypo salinity tank

AliciaP

I am acclimating a yellow tang and I need a little advice. He was apparently in hypo salinity. I was not aware of this when I bought him at 9pm or I would not have bought him since we have a 2 hour trip home. So, I'm still acclimating him, but only just now did I realize how low his salinity was. It's already up to 1.022, no idea what is was at and he's got until 1.026 to go. What should I do for the night? Keep at it? Lower the tank he's getting put into to where he's at now?

Not sure I understand. If you say you don't know what the original salinity was, how can you say he was in hyposalinity?

Anyway, you can raise salinity .002-.003 a day. So, tomorow, you can go 1.023-24, then next day 1.024-26. I do hyposalinity on all my new fish, and it takes me about 7 days to go from 1.009 to 1.026 at the end of the treatment period with no issues.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Is he still in the bag? You need to get him out to a QT with the same salinity, 1.022, ASAP, then raise the salinity like I said above.

I started acclimating him. I checked the water he was currently in (with some of my water added as well) and it reads 1.022. He had been acclimating for an hour so I wanted to know if he was good to go to place in the QT. That's when I saw how low it was. Which is what makes me think he was in hyposalinity.

I know at one point or another a couple years ago, I was told that they use hypo to keep from getting ich. So I guess I just assumed based on my readings and past experience.

edit- using a hydrometer

Got it. I definitely would lower the QT salinity to 1.022, then put him in QT. You don't want him in the bag for any length of time.

There are several fish stores in my area that say they keep their tanks at 1.017-1.020 to prevent Ich. Yeah, sure, for Ich :rolleyes:. Anyway, your's was probably somewhere in that range

Hydrometer is fine. They may not be overly accurate, but used properly they are very consistent n their inaccuracy :).

Thank you for your bit of advice! I will lower the QT, acclimate for another 30 minutes and get my tired but to bed. lol

Back