Acclimating Hammer Coral?

RyanMcLaughlin

In Memoriam
I bought a hammer coral that was about 8 or so inches from VHO lighting. Now I haver MH in a 20inch deep tank. HOw should I acclimate him to the light. Should I place him in a shady area or just not directly under?

I'd place it off to the side on the bottom at first. Slow to moderate current. See how it goes.

Well he is in and I can see the skeleton. He is very retracted. Im not to worried because he did that when the guy at the store touched him. How long should it take for it to start coming out?

you dont have to acclimate corals to light. i cant remember the website, but i read that from dark, to the first hour of daylight, the light intensity goes from no light, to so high that it is not reproducable by man made lights. just saying that corals are use to the drastic changes in light intensity. (this article was specifically an experiment for light acclimation with corals.)

Its been three hours and he hasnt come out much if at all. I put food on his tentacles and its sticking a little but starting to come off. He is also doing this wierd thing with his mouth. Something comes out and gets sucked back in. Should I be worried or is he just acclimating still?

As long as your water PH alk etc. are within specs it will be fine.

I keep my hammers and frogspawn in low current either on the bottom or about 1/2 way up from the bottom of my tank.

They are pretty tolerant of light but do not like strong direct current on them.

Well I just turned on the lights and it looks worse. I can see less tentacles and they are very shriveled. I just looks bare almost. I shut off a powerhead to see if less flow helps. Also my opren brain is doing fine. Any advice?

Last edited:
100_2808.jpg
[/IMG]

That is not normal. The only time I have had mine look like that I had an alk spike due to me dosing to heavy with 2 part solution.
On the good side I am told as long as it has some life it could come back. I will be surprized if that one lives. Sorry.

Back