Achilles tang have ich what are some viable solutions w/o removing from tank?

isseym328

Premium Member
Howdy,

So I picked up a nice Achilles a few weeks back and after a few days it got ich. Some of the ich showed up on my other fishes, but since they're not stressed out they got better but the Achilles did not. Achilles is still eating and most of the time doesn't look stressed but I'm afraid eventually it will succumb to ich. I do not want to take it out of the tank as it will stress it out more and do not want to use chemicals.

Anyone have success throwing in a cleaner shrimps or buying a cleaner wrasse to take care of the ich? Any other natural solutions I can try? Any recommendation would be welcomed. Thank you in advance!

Achilles tang have ich what are some viable solutions w/o removing from tank?

Reef tank? If not, use coppersafe.

Don't get a cleaner wrasse. They can't help much to begin other than therapeutic support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes reef tank so no chems.

Rob sorry to hear and yes that is what I'm afraid of as well that the other fishes might get it again. I love my current fish collection and don't want anything to die...

Best,
James

One thing you can try is to let the Tang aquire immunity against ich.
Though for that you would need to remove it from the tank and treat it. My suggestion would be tank transfers followed by at least a month staying in an ich free system. After that he should be able to keep the infection at bay.
There is no guarantee for that to work, but I had success with this method with Regal Angels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As everybody else has mentioned, best if u remove the fish out to treat them. If u want to take a gamble.. I have tried this in the past... If ur fish are all still eating... Polyb lab medic and high nutritional food. It's not 100% guaranteed but it work for at that time. This was a few years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If it still eating, keep feeding it. You can soak the fish food in garlic. You can also feed your fish with life spectrum ich shield.

If it still eating, keep feeding it. You can soak the fish food in garlic. You can also feed your fish with life spectrum ich shield.

This is what I would do and what I did do many years back when I had an Achilles with signs of ich. I fed it a lot of food and always had nori available for it to graze. You can soak the food in garlic, selcon, vitachem etc. I kept it in my large display, I figured moving it to a small tank without an established biofilter could cause more stress. As long as it is Ich and not Velvet, I would go this route.

This is what I would do and what I did do many years back when I had an Achilles with signs of ich. I fed it a lot of food and always had nori available for it to graze. You can soak the food in garlic, selcon, vitachem etc. I kept it in my large display, I figured moving it to a small tank without an established biofilter could cause more stress. As long as it is Ich and not Velvet, I would go this route.

I agree. I have done it the same way in the past. Trying to catch the fish would stress it out, as well as the other the other fishes in the tank. Since the ich is already in the tank, it is safe to assume that all the fishes maybe infected, but not showing any signs. The goal is to prevent an out break.

As others have said, if it's Velvet, you should definitely treat with Copper or CP. You should confirm that first.

If you don't want to go the QT/Copper/CP route, then super oversized UV and minimizing aggression/stress in tank. You might also want to try reducing your salinity.

Know your enemy, it's your best chance at beating it.
[ICH]

I feed my fish as much as possible. But I probably am asking for trouble having added multiple Achilles and powder blue

I believe the fish now has velvet, as there are too many dots to count. It's had it for a few weeks now so I'm surprised that it has not died based on what I'm reading. Based on you guys experience with velvet is it treatable in tank without chems or have to take it out? I've always fed my fishes aggressively so that's probably helping, and do change water at least once a week. Can start trying feeding some garlic to see if that helps. Still concerned about taking the fish out as most of the time i do freshwater dips or quarantine they do not make it.

I've had whole tank wipes with Marine velvet.. started on my angels and puffer, then everyone else.. garlic may help your fish appetite to keep eating, not much else. once they stop eating, pretty much over.

if you have spare tanks that you can setup to medicate in (copper probably best for whole tank treatment). I would just drain the display tank to 10% water, jump in, and pick up the fish.. nets/traps etc takes too long. Corals and nems are fine being out in the air for awhile.

it's not that much work. I did it once on my 560.. just need a few 50gal trash cans and heaters.

Last edited:
If it is Velvet your chances are slim that it can be managed without copper or CP.

Usually if the fish dies in FW dip, it would have died anyways.

Some fish can be asymptomatic even with velvet and it presents upon a trigger event.

Thanks Tony!

Appreciate all the support/feedback so far. Where do you guys buy nori? Just the stuff that we see at American/Asian markets with no salt added?

Thanks Tony!

Appreciate all the support/feedback so far. Where do you guys buy nori? Just the stuff that we see at American/Asian markets with no salt added?

any unsalted, unflavored Nori works. BRS sells them in bulk.

Back