acoustic foam for sump?

I found a product at Home Depot years ago that was called sound board. It came 4' x 8'x 3/4".
I use it under my sump, on my doors and on the end walls in side my sump.
It's a porous material, that doesn't seem to soak up saltwater.
I used some in a 180 gallon stand for several years and now have some in my 6 year old 240 stand and some in a 9 year old stand under my 50.
It's not the prettiest materail, but it does help.

When I tried the material I have, it was just a guess and I'm happy with my choice.
That product is a sound reducing material so it may be similar to the one I found.
Not sure what chemicals are used in that product, so it would be a guess again.
Something you would have to make.

Here is a picture of my stand door.
You can see the rust on the screws and door stopper.
This has been in place for 9 years.

door1zn.jpg

Look up Owens corning 703 board. You should have local AC supply houses that carry it. At first they may not want to sell to you but if you explain what it is for.... (I build a 1200 sq foot movie theater) they will....I showed up and handed them cash and they were good.... of course I needed about $800 worth...you will need about $40. Look up sound absorption properties and sound absorption for movie theaters.... there are a few ways to tackle this including a product called...."green glue" which is a slimy caulk you put between panels to deaden sound. Good luck.

What is causing the noise? Water flowing? Pumps buzzing? Pumps hitting the glass causing an annoying rattle?
Some things to try.
1. Make sure there is a soft tubing portion between the pump and the plumbing. This dampens the vibration of the pump and can really quiet the pump down.
2. Lift pumps off the bottom of the sump, possibly with a neoprene mousepad or old wetsuit back cutout.
3. Clean the pumps and powerheads. Replace any that have out of balance impeller axis'.
4. Replace the return pump with a quieter brand.
5. clean the dust off all air fans and computer fans. Replace with quieter versions.
6. Falling water sounds can be dampened by adding a slanted piece of acrylic over any overflows so the water runs down a shute instead of off a water fall. This will also help to cutdown on salt creep and salt spray.
7. Research a herbie overflow or a beananimal silent overflow to learn the principles of keeping air out of the overflow pipes. This will run nearly a silent overflow, but it needs to be set up properly to avoid an overflow.

Good luck,
HTH
Aaron

What is causing the noise? Water flowing? Pumps buzzing? Pumps hitting the glass causing an annoying rattle?
Some things to try.
1. Make sure there is a soft tubing portion between the pump and the plumbing. This dampens the vibration of the pump and can really quiet the pump down.
2. Lift pumps off the bottom of the sump, possibly with a neoprene mousepad or old wetsuit back cutout.
3. Clean the pumps and powerheads. Replace any that have out of balance impeller axis'.
4. Replace the return pump with a quieter brand.
5. clean the dust off all air fans and computer fans. Replace with quieter versions.
6. Falling water sounds can be dampened by adding a slanted piece of acrylic over any overflows so the water runs down a shute instead of off a water fall. This will also help to cutdown on salt creep and salt spray.
7. Research a herbie overflow or a beananimal silent overflow to learn the principles of keeping air out of the overflow pipes. This will run nearly a silent overflow, but it needs to be set up properly to avoid an overflow.

Good luck,
HTH
Aaron

I haven't started my system yet still working on the stand

Back