Acropora growth series pix

this Acropora is the same one I had growing in my previous aquarium. Some people having been calling it "Gary's yellow Acropora". I lost the original colony during my move in 2006, but Gary Greguire had it growing in his system and he gave me a frag back- so I'm growing another colony. For the longest time the new coral frag looked like a pale yellow twig and I didn't bother taking any pix of it. What a mistake.
Note the growth around the Vermitid now located in the center of the coral.

April 2007
IMG_3049keeper.jpg

July 2007
IMG_4024keeper.jpg

to be continued...

Last edited:
So...what is the actual name of that coral? And...why was it initialy yellow? Also, If one was to take a coral from another's tank and place it into their tank having the same exact lighting as the first tank, would the coral still change color due to the different tank chemistry?

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10457332#post10457332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by magdelan
So...what is the actual name of that coral? And...why was it initialy yellow? Also, If one was to take a coral from another's tank and place it into their tank having the same exact lighting as the first tank, would the coral still change color due to the different tank chemistry?

Mike
Mike- I haven't tried to ID this Acro to species. I kind of lost intense interest in ID'ing Acros to species about 10 years ago because it's inaccurate unless you do a skeletal exam and (IMO) allow the coral to grow out into a full size colony. Most of the Acro ID threads in the SPS forum are a total joke.
For some reason or another small frags of this coral are initially yellow. Talk to anyone that's had it (Steve Helinski, PCIALF, and Gary G. among others).
I believe everyone's frag colored up like mine.
There's more to coloring up corals than lighting alone. Water chemistry probably has more to do with coral coloration than lighting based on my experience.

Thanks for the responce, Gary. It is a beauty of a coral. Many of my questions stem from the fact that I am trying to figure out why my corals are not brightly colored up. I almost feel that I want to change from 14k's to 10k's. It's just frusturating.

I love your acro though!!!

mike

Back