Acropora releasing mucus

Rhodesholar

Hello everyone.

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I have an Acropora that is releasing mucus. It appears to only be coming from the areas of new growth. The coral is encrusting (as it was a frag) and growing.

My question is has anyone had an Acropora release mucus strings from only the areas it appears new polyps should be forming?

That seems to be the only place the mucus expulsion is coming from.

Over all from what I can tell the coral has good color, good polyp extension and good growth.

Thank you to anyone who has an input on the matter.

Does it look kind if stringy? If so it may be mesenterial filaments! I get these often as a feeding response, but have also observed them showing this behavior through stress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hello and thanks for the response.

Yes long stringy filaments.

It's only coming from the new growth. Rest of the coral looks perfect.

Nothing has changed so I don't see any reason why the coral would be stressed.

Everything is rock solid.

Actually upon closer inspection (with better glasses I can't see up close to save my life) it does not appear to be mucus because it's not clear but very thin white strands.

Again it's only coming from the places it appears that new polyps are forming in new growth.

There is no sign of alkalinity burn or anything as the rest of the coral has good color and polyp extension.

Well since first posting this thread there has been no degradation of the coral and it looks there are new polyps forming in the areas where I saw the white strands.

Coral overall has good PE, color and is encrusting nicely since I got it as a frag.

So so far so good.

The new growth tips almost always have longer polyps. You can see this especially when the lights are off.................what you're seeing is normal.

Back