Acrylic tank stand

Dragon moray ki

Hey guys for my new tank build I'm going to build my own stand. The tank is going to be an acrylic tank. Is there anything special I need to do to the stand like padding or anything like that? Thanks this is my first stand build so be easy.

agreed, it is not really recommended--because unlike glass, acrylic is flexible. It is a complex topic. The remedy is a well constructed stand with a very flat top.

speaking of a stand, i just picked up a 140gal acrylic tank today and threw away the press board stand. why do companys use such cheep crap to build stands with. one drop of water and it just expands and turns to poo. i forsee a trip to the local lowes to try and out do the last stand i built. this one has crazy angles. its not a true bow front but kinda is.

Because honestly that is all that is needed to support the tank. Some manufacturers, do pay attention to the attention span of many hobbyists, and make the stand to last about as long as the attention span of the hobbyist--before they change to a larger tank.

On the other hand, really that is all that is needed to hold up the tank, however, I think that 3/4" ply is a better choice than press board. Most will seal a stand just as a matter of course--water + wood = dimension changes.

I will be building it out of 4 by 4s. The tank is a 240 that I will be ordering in a few weeks. I will seal the would and use premium ply on the top along with several supports along its length

4 x 4's are the worst choice for building a load carrying structure of plastic (or glass) and water. They are the most dimensionally unsound cut of dimensioned lumber there is. They twist, bow, crack, rock and roll, just because it seems they want too. You can overkill the stand if you want, but used doubled 2 x 4's and stay away from the 4 x 4's. Just FYI, I have put more than one 240 gallon glass tank, on nothing more than a plywood box. With the acrylic you would want some front to back support under the top however, as would be the case with a rimless glass tank also. :)

thats no joke 4 x 4's are a pain in the *** to work with and there priced thru the roof. i know the stands i build are over kill but i trust them to do there job. 2x4's are all you need, good glue and screws.
and for those that read this please do not bring pressure treated lumber into your homes. leave it outside where it belongs. its nasty stuff indoors

Dragon,
I'm putting together a 240 acrylic project right now.My tank is 60x36. My acrylic guy said to do this:
Top frame needs to be as flat as possible
Screw 3/4" plywood top to top frame
Lay another 3/4" plywood to to float on this sheet
Finally use 3/4" foam pad to even out the load further.

He also recommended shimming around the edges where there were gaps between tank and plywood. The shims go between the two plywood sheets. May be over kill but thats what I was told. No water in my tank yet but getting close.
Good luck

well if thats what a professional said to do who am i to argue. that seems way overkill to me. the ones you buy in the store arent as complex and last for years but im sure your guy just wants the best for you.

Back