Acrylic

JimmyJohn

today I went to Ace and bought some acrylic plexiglass which I hope is right. I believe the brand is plexiglass could be wrong. Im just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the Weldon16 or if there is anything else I can use to bond it together?? The glass I bought will it work ok or will it cause me a problem in the future. Anyone know about the acrylic I bought im pretty sure its the same from home depot...

I would say to check your local yellow pages for plastics, roc/sheets. They should have the weldon in stock for you.

What do you want to do with it?

Re: Acrylic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14749530#post14749530 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JimmyJohn
today I went to Ace and bought some acrylic plexiglass which I hope is right. I believe the brand is plexiglass could be wrong. Im just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the Weldon16 or if there is anything else I can use to bond it together?? The glass I bought will it work ok or will it cause me a problem in the future. Anyone know about the acrylic I bought im pretty sure its the same from home depot...

A plastics supplier in your area should have the weldon that you are looking for. IME, the stuff available at home depot does not deserve to be called acrylic, and in fact some of it is not. Can't say anything about Ace, however, because they are few and far between out here.

Regards,

Jim

IF you do a really good job gluing it and you keep the sump small it will work, but very few people will actually suggest you use that stuff. It is a cheap extruded product that you purchased. You really should get a good cast product.

Kim

like acralite will that work? I mean the plexi I got seems pretty thick and durable... You honestly think it wont work good?

Acrylite GP is really good stuff, acrylite AR is not good to glue
Acrylite CP is ok, not great.

There are quite a few different types of Acrylite some of which are good to use and others are not.

Kim

Last edited:
JimmyJohn,

I intentionally left the GP out of my post. Sorry, but the reason was confirmed. There are other brands out there also, some plastic companies may not carry acrylite gp in stock. Plexiglas G (one S Made by Arkema) and Polycast are also choices. Though most agree that cast is best, many use extruded, and swear by it.

Jim

so you think if I use the stuff I bought from Ace hardware it probably will not work ok??? Or do you think it may work but in sometime it could cause me a problem in the future?

most likely gonna cause you problems if not now down the road for sure.........check your local yellow pages and find a plastic supply or sign shop they should have the weldon and the rite plastic...........stick with plexiglass "g" or polycast or acrylite "gp" if you choose the extruded route use no less than 3/8th thick and use solvents like weldon 3 or 4.......16 is not really the greatest......extruded bonds very nice with solvents but likes to bow like crazy when it gets wet i would not recommend it but sometimes for you guys it seems you cant find anything else.......personnaly from your questions you probally have never worked with acrylic so i would recommend the cast and solvents for beginners and seal it afterwards with a bead of 16 if there is any leaks........or watch out for floods............

yea i used this solvent that went into a sirenge and put it on all the edges and out side edges then I also put supports in the middle with the baffle and such so it dont bow and i also beaded with 16 after it dried so I think I should be good. Anything else I should do? I went to a plastic place and they told me all the plastic is the same when you get acrylic he said it wouldnt make a difference so thats why I didnt get anything else.

WOW. A plastic shop said that all acrylics are the same.....

I would suggest finding a different plastic shop.....

You can do a search here on RC for any posts by acrylics and get a lot of good info on making anything out of acrylic. He makes some of the nices acrylic tanks around and is willing to share is knowledge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14757531#post14757531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JimmyJohn
yea i used this solvent that went into a sirenge and put it on all the edges and out side edges then I also put supports in the middle with the baffle and such so it dont bow and i also beaded with 16 after it dried so I think I should be good. Anything else I should do? I went to a plastic place and they told me all the plastic is the same when you get acrylic he said it wouldnt make a difference so thats why I didnt get anything else.
lol!!!!!!!! ya find a new shop most of the time the same manufacturer with the same sheets of plastics varys........thats why if you ever buy sheets there is a batch number especcialy for colored materials the colors change sometimes like 5 shades off......i have even seen clear sheets vary with clarity......and that is with big manuf. not the scrap home depot sells.......i never even knew they carried acrylic till i joined this site and saw posts about.......btw. where is james???? i was looking forward to acrylic q&a thread that was gonna get a sticky.........hmm...as for your project it sounds like you did everything rite just wait 48 hours before doing a leak test....

so how long should i let the water sit in it before i set it up under my tank i plan on testing it out tomorrow morning and if no leaks set it up. How long should i have water sit in it before i say its all good?

Back