actinic lights..

thekidace

I have read various debates on actinic lighting...Is it purely for viewing or are there specific benefits of having actinic bulbs along side with others?

I don't like the look with only 10k lights on... I think it gives it a more crisp look when you have both on... I have 4x65watts right now (2) 10k & (2) 7100k Actinics. So I run both. Also its to simulate dawn & dusk so I turn my actinics on an hour before the regular lights and an hour after them to simulate that.

what about coral spawning, I think I've heard something about that... but correct me if I'm wrong

they help the corals. it gives a boost the the blue spectrum that alot of mh and such lack

( reefcast i think just did several minutes of yapping about it. listen to it.. i may of been talking reef...)

Thats why I said for the most part. I didn't say they were purely for looks ;). Heres the thing, there are a lot of people who run successful systems with no actinic suplementation. I guess what i'm saying is they could help in some ways, but are not necessary.

Back