Actinic Supplement to MH

jonnydilger

Currently running a 400W 14k MH bulb in a custom canopy on a 92 gal corner bowfront (2' depth). I'm looking for the cheapest way to have some actinic supplement lighting for the early morning (before the MH turns on) and early evening (before my lunar LED strip turns on). Anyone know of some way to do this that's cost friendly? I'd likely need two 24" strips... could be T5 retrofits but would prefer a cost-effective LED alternative. Any help is very much appreciated!

Just as a thought --- anyone have any experience with LEDwholesalers.com? Not even sure what to get, but it looked promising... Thanks!!!

One of these will be way brighter then T5s with a nicer color. And you never have to buy bulbs. I put one of these with my two T5s and two 400 watt metal halides. You can see a bigger difference with It on compared to my two T5s. and by itself with no other lights it blows my T5s away, with just one strip. You can even add them to the sides of your halide housings.
http://www.reefbrite.com/reefbrite-xho-led/

Looks great, but wow is it pricey... Can't justify dropping $400 to make my corals looks great for 3-4 hrs per day. It might be my best option, though... (certainly somewhat justified with not having to buy bulbs...)

Thanks for the recommendation, any other suggestions welcome

I don't think they are 400 bucks for a strip. I got my 48" for 250.00, you only need a 24"
I had a 92 gallon corner tank, you can put one in front and tilt it back slightly. The mounts are made to swivel.
One is enough...

Last edited:
I've actually positioned my lunar lights along the front bowfront... was looking for two separate 24" strips for each planar side of the tank. I've noticed some relatively cheap T5 retrofit kits available on eBay... (less than $100 for a 2x24W setup...)

What's a typical lifespan for a LED setup (assuming ~5 hrs per day operation)?

Two will be a lot of light. You will need a lot of ventilation in the hood with any led especially with a halide. Heat is an LEDs worst enemy.
T5s may work better with the heat.

I would do the LET retro's from ReefGeek...the price is great and it is the best T5 retro setup. The T12 VHO has great color but the cost to operate is too high, if that matters. I like the ReefBrights but I have doubts about the claim of double the par of ATI T5 B+ bulbs, has anyone confirmed this?

Bang for your buck, no question Add two T12 Super actinic VHO bulbs. The VHO actinic looks 100% better then t5 imo. I use to have t12 but since have upgraded to LEDs. Leds make some colors pop more that is forsure. But over all I think i liked the VHO's better.

Back