Actinic Supplement

fish-on-Reef

I am running duel 250W XM 10K on my 90 gallon.
My question is......
Do I run VHO or T5 on my IceCap 660 for actinic supplements?

Your choice.

While I haven't used T5 actinics yet, my understanding is that they don't really compare to UV (formerly, URI) VHO actinics.

Despite what people tell you, there is NO comparison between the VHO and T5 Actinics, even with the latest UV T5 SA. I have had both and when I switched from T5 over to VHO, I saw colors in my corals I never even knew existed before. The greens just EXPLODE under VHO. The T5 isnt even close man....

WHY......OH WHY!!.....you think the same company making a VHO super actinic could get the exact spectrum when making a T5 super actinic....don't know why they can't??

I was actually thinking of going to t5 actinics from the VHO. I thought that the t5 was a step up from the vho.

So are most people in agreement that VHO is better than T5 for attinic supplement?
Thanks

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298280#post9298280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ruiny
I was actually thinking of going to t5 actinics from the VHO. I thought that the t5 was a step up from the vho.

So are most people in agreement that VHO is better than T5 for attinic supplement?
Thanks
Overall, T5s are better than VHOs...actinics being the exception.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298455#post9298455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fish-on-Reef
Two t-5's and two VHO's

Any daylight lamps or are these all going to be actinics?

What would you combine with the XM 10K's ?
I am currently running 2 NO marine glos and 2 18K power glos.
My tank is predominantly SPS, Zoa's
I am just looking for the best combination possible leaning towards the blue side.

I would do just VHO actinics for supplementing the XM 10,000 K lamps: That will balance out the "yellow-ish" tint and still give you some "glow".

My tank is a 60" long 100G and I use two 140w 60" URI (now UV Lighting) VHO Super Actinics along with my 10k MH. Colors are great. T5 may be the wave of the future but they still don't have the actinics right yet, the colors just don't compare with VHO.

My tank is a 60" long 100G and I use two 140w 60" URI (now UV Lighting) VHO Super Actinics along with my 10k MH. Colors are great. T5 may be the wave of the future but they still don't have the actinics right yet, the colors just don't compare with VHO.

Yup, I'm a real T5 "preacher" at times but the par numbers show that the VHO actinics beat the pants off the T5 actinics. In other color variations, the shoe is on the other foot.

I also think that AZDesertRat has the best color set up for a MH / actinic combo. To be more specific, a local reefer has 10K Iwasaki 10K's and VHO actinics. This lighting scheme looks nice and balanced. He has good growth and coral color.

IMHO the addition of Actinics to 20K bulbs would produce a pretty blue looking tank. If you like the blue color and or want to set up a deep water type reef, the 20K's and actinics would be the way to go. The 20K's dont have the par ratings that lower K bulbs have, the addition of VHO actinics will help increase the energy avaliable to the tank's inhabitants if you enjoy the bluer colors.

FWIW

Back