Add on carbon filters for ro/di

Creetin

Limestone Cowboy.
Premium Member
Is it ok to have the add on carbon filters after the DI cartridge??
Or should i replace the DI with a carbon, and run the DI in the add on???
Will the DI screw with the carbon?
TIA

The carbon is used as a pre-filter for the R/O membrane so it doesn’t get damage. It is not necessarily for cleaning the end product. By the time the water passes through your R/O D.I. unit, the carbon shouldn’t be much of a water purifier.

Its for clhorimines and risidual clhlorine. I have a carbon filter on as a prefilter for the ro membrane

It's actually only used to remineralize water for drinking. It's callined an inline post carbon filter. It is not the same thing that you would use for prefiltration. If you are producing DI water for your tank you do not want one there because it will remineralize your DI water. That is very counter productive. If this unit is just for drinking water, then keep it on. If the unit is for both, then you need to have a T somewhere so that you can get RO only water that passes throught the post carbon filter, and a separate outlet for RO/DI water for you reef that does not go through the post carbon filter.
FB

Sorry if i was not clear its a clhorimine and clhorine removing carbon setup, I was told to add it needs a flow of slower than 15gph to remove clhorimines. Its not a remineralizer carbon, Its a medical grade carbon esp for clh.
I'll just hook it up to go prior to the DI. I use city water and its loaded with clhorimines. 1 Carbon filter does not remove them so i needed a second add on.

Oh well then I think you should add it in the prefiltration. I would go sediment, chloramine filter, block carbon, then membrane. That way the chromine filter breaks the chloramines into chlorine and ammonia. The next carbon filter will take out the chlorine and the DI will take out the ammonia. That's typically how people use GAC chloramine filters so that's what I would guess. Sounds like you may have something special though.
FB

Thanks for the help, I talked to the filterguys, and they said to use it before the ro membrane. Clhorimines can get by the ro membrade unaffected, RO will not filter them out, and will pass thru the di as well.
The gac breaks it down to a ammonia salt or something to that effect. Then the ro membrane is able to remove that. And whats left over by the process is removed by the DI resin.
You were right track the first time sorry.
He said i could remove the sediment filter replace it with one of the gac filters, and place the sediment filter as a last filtration before the RO. That way carbon dust wont get in a clog the RO membrane. I dont like replacing filters, Let alone a ro membrane prematurely.
The clhorimines that was escaping was doing crazy things in my tank. Just small amounts can screw up your biofiltration. (Per say the filterguys.) BTW THANKS to them!!!
That would explain the diatoms the last couple weeks.

OH btw i may have lost a couple things in the translation, So dont take this as fact.

Glad it got all sorted out. They gave me great advice too. THey said if I use GAC carbon to just switch out that filter first and leave my old carbon block in place after it. THat way it will catch all of the carbon dust. Then swap out the carbon block only after several gallon have been passed through and caught all of the dust.
FB

Back