Added new live sand and now Algea bloom??

ccolt1

Have you guys ever put new live sand in a say 2yr old tank and have a diatom bloom start? I bought some live sand off ebay for my daughters 20g tank and decided to add alittle to my 60g and now for 2 1/2 weeks I have been fighting with trying to get rid of it. Should it pass like it did when I first started the tank? I did not have a problem until I added it....I've tryed cutting back on feeding and added some phosban and carbon and it seems like to is getting worse. I have checked my RODI fitler and everything ok there. I hope it will eventully cycle out...:confused:

Common as eating a hotdog at the ball game. More suprising when it doesn`t happen. But it will pass. The diatoms trap the silica in their skeletons, when they die off it is bound and new ones cannot utilise it. Therefore they will crash without a fresh silica supply

I will add that it is common using "new sand" from a bag. I would not expect this to happen from "real" live sand that has been in the system for any period of time, or even freshly collected.

Back