Adding a Regal after a Yellow

collins

Does anyone have any experience with adding a Regal Tang after a Yellow has been the sole Surgeon fish for a while?

When I got my Yellow two years ago, I thought that would be the only Tang in my system because I only have a 90. Now I’m having second thoughts, but am worried about the Yellow being territorial.

Should I forget the whole thing? Or do I take the chance?

You're probably going to see the YT bully the Regal for a while. Your best bet is to put the Regal in when the lights have been off for a couple of hours.

You could also try to rearrange some of your liverock to disrupt your YT's territoriality a bit.

Everyone has a different opinion on this so I will tell you my experience. I had a yellow Tang in my tank for about 4 months or so, then decided to add a Blue Regal Tang. No problems whatsoever. A yellow Tang and a Blue Regal Tang are both Tangs obviously, but not of the same genus of Tangs. Normally that is the only time you would have a problem with two tangs, if the body types are similar such as a Yellow Tang and a Sailfin Tang or Purple Tang.
You should be fine, as long as you understand that Blue Regal Tangs are susceptible to Ick and like parasites you should have no problems with it. Beautiful fish.

Jeff

the yellow tang will chase him but in a week he will get use to him . my yellow tang chase at the begin all my angel fish :D

Thanks everyone.

alan214, I always add newbies to a dark tank, so that they are not as stressed, but that may dissuade the Yellow also â€"œ good idea. I can’t do much with my live rock unfortunately. I have quite a few corals and my tank is only a 90 â€"œ also a good idea though.

mussel20, The ich factor is why I chose a Yellow over a Regal initially. I am hopeful my cleaner shrimp will take care of any outbreak that may occur.

So no one has had a fatality from adding a Regal after the fact?

go for it , all my angel come after my yellow tang .

IMGP2376.jpg

I had this experience while back and didn't have any problem adding my regal.

One thing I can see though is that the regal was a little bigger than the YT.

I added a regal to a tank with a purple tang.

I taped a mirror to the tank and the purple wore himself out fighting his twin. Once the lights went out I added the regal. There was a little bit of fighting but the bouts lasted only for a moment each time. After a couple days, I rarely see any fighting. Its mostly a quick chase by the purple. He is the dominant one for sure. 4 months later they're friends for the most part. :)

I agree with what everyone else is saying, they'll display dominance for a week and then they'll be fine.. I don't really get the whole "tang incompatability" thing. There are a LOT of people on here that have a bunch of tangs together and they do just fine. I have 3 in a 125 right now.

I added a regal after my Yellow was in for a year. No problems at all. He did get ich once but as long as they are healthy they can usually overcome it.

I added a regal to my Yellow and Purple and neither one bother him. My Yellow chases the purple and he was in the tank for about 4hours longer than the purple! Crazy fish!!!! This has been for 1.5 yrs now.

Update...
I added the Regal yesterday. I chose a small one so that the Yellow would consider it less of a threat. All is good - no fighting.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have a Powder Blue and a Yellow Tang in a holding tank for months. I finally moved the Yellow first to the new tank, added some other fish and put the PB in last. Keep in mind these two have been together for over 2 years!

I put the PB in and the yellow sorta chased it around for a bit, but the PB ignored him, it's like they'd never seen each other! LOL! PB is now the king of the tank after about 2 days. I'd like to add an achilles tang, if I do, I'll just get a small one if I can find it.

My Yellow is a very aggressive eater, so I over fed the tank just before adding the Regal and two cleaner shrimp.

I turned out the lights on the tank and the regal found a place to hide for a few minutes.

My Yellow saw the Regal a few minutes later and swam closer to it to take a good look â€"œ then left it alone. All fish are calm.

Similar question: I plan on adding 2 tangs to my new 120g at some point. One small powder brown and either a small clown tang, powder blue, yellow, or regal. It's an "island" tank, viewable from 4 sides, with the overflow and an island of LR in the center. I believe this will help minimize aggression. Again, I will start w/ small fish, and the Pbrown will be added first.
Any thoughts? I'm thing the Pblue could be most problematic, as they look VERY similar, aside from color.
Sorry to hijack!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9894367#post9894367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by merseyman
Similar question: I plan on adding 2 tangs to my new 120g at some point. One small powder brown and either a small clown tang, powder blue, yellow, or regal. It's an "island" tank, viewable from 4 sides, with the overflow and an island of LR in the center. I believe this will help minimize aggression. Again, I will start w/ small fish, and the Pbrown will be added first.
Any thoughts? I'm thing the Pblue could be most problematic, as they look VERY similar, aside from color.
Sorry to hijack!

if you can add both together if not add first the clown tang and after the powder . and if you want to add more fish wait with the powder as the last fish . in the past i did the same when i add powder blue tang and clown tang the powder was fight with him and cut all his boddy .

Back