Adding another return?

nabee24

I have a 90gal tank with a single overflow. Is it possible to install another return? Is there a way to connect my return pump to a single pipe that divides into two?

I think I need more flow in my tank and I'd hate to add more powerheads!

Please show pics.

Thanks!

not sure about the overflow addition. I would suspect you could.

I have a single return pump that has a Y, not a T so that the flow between the two is similar. The y I used was from Mcmaster Carr, I don't think its something you are going to find at the local hardware store.

why dont you just get a larger return pump and ake a Y in to the tank this way you can have flow in two diff directions... If you have two retuen lines and the same pump you will be cycling the same amount per hour.... send a pic of the tank

you can find a "lock-line" tee to replace the return to your tank and upsize the return pump. IMO, best choice with least mods.

You could also use a SCWD to split the lines, use an over the top return for the second line and have alternating current as well. I would also add a larger pump, split the lne in 2 will not increase flow, it will split the current amount by 2. You could also add flow accelerators to the returns.

Just remember that if you increase your pump, with or without another overflow, you will be increasing the thoughput of your sump.

If you are going to invest in another pump, why not using it in a closed loop and leave the sump and return pump as they are.

Back