Adding copepods

lsouth913

Im just getting back into the hobby after about an 8 yr break..my pass tank had a load of pods in it..what's the best way to go about adding them?

you can get yourself a live rock from somewhere,a fish store or from a fellow hobbyist. Or you can buy a bottle of copepods, some stores have them or you can order online

Thanks, ive been checking the rock at the two localfish stores near me but i just don't see pods on the rock like i used to in my old tank..i started off with 100lb of seasoned rock..just mind boggeling

Cycling a new tank with live rock and not adding any livestock for 3-4 months after the cycle is complete will allow for the pod population to grow. Adding a pinch of so of food every day will help the pod population.

You can buy via breeders like AlgaeBarn

Ill second that motion! I havent personally used them but they look like they have a pretty good deal going there.

Another alternative is www.garf.org . I got some of their Graf Grunge (10 lbs) for substrate when I set up my most recent tank and I got a fair number of pods and a couple of mini brittle starfish to boot which was cool. There were some crumbs of coralline algae but the going has been really slow getting it established in my nano tank. Other than adding the Garf Grunge the tank started out sterile...some dry sand and dry rock.

I am planning to set up a 90 gallon tank in the near future and was looking at some live rock, I havent bought any in years. I am not at all impressed with what I am seeing available for (2 bucks a pound much less) the 7.99 a pound they are asking for it these days. Doesnt seem to be much on it life or hitch hiker wise other than just benefical bacteria.

Back