Adding coral to a FOWLR ...

thcmusic

I currently have a FOWLR tank to which I want to add some different corals. I have added a couple of Actinodiscus and Rhodactis rocks and a purple sea fan so far.

What other corals, mushrooms or otherwise, could I add to my FOWLR that my fish will pretty much leave alone.

Any specific recommendations would be appreciated. See below for my livestock list.

nitro4kthompson

I have an open brain,branching hammer,trumpet, and various zoas and palys in my FOWLR. I haven't ever noticed any of the fish bothering anything. The tank houses a snowflake eel,niger trigger,rusty angel,and powder brown tang.

Metal Man 1221

FMMAS Executive Director
I think that some well thought out leathers will turn a FOWLER into a nice "mini" reef.

But it depends on what you want. color? shape? etc.

chuckdallas

Tank Tinkerer
I'm no expert, but I've heard that Triggerfish are not reef safe, but that's a blanket statement...kind of like crabs are hit and miss. Do a search on any of the RC Forums or on Google on Blue Jaw Triggers to see what others think about having that fish in with corals. Some people believe that if you feed the fish enough, they won't munch on your corals, as they are programmed to do.

thcmusic

chuckdallas - You are correct that triggerfish are not considered reef safe (neither are dogface puffers for that matter). However, it seems as though certain mushrooms, for example, typically are not going to be bothered by ANY fish (including those not considered reef safe). I was just wondering what other FOWLER folks have added to their tanks that are able to thrive without their "non-reef safe" fish picking on them. I would never obviously add any exotic corals. Just looking to add some color to the rockwork and make the tank more diverse.

Metal Man - What leathers (for adding some color) would you suggest?

mike810

You can try adding some mushrooms, green star polyps or maybe some zoas. watch out for the shrooms and green star polyps tho, they will get out of hand if left alone to grow. All of these will add color to your tank but since you have non reef safe fish. They might or might not pick at your corals. GL

progman2000

I think Triggers are considered non-reef safe because they will eat inverts, not necessarily corals. I have a pair of BJ Triggers in a tank with a ton of zoas, LPS, SPS & shrooms and they never look at any of it. They don't really bother my inverts either.

Angels, that's another story. I would be more concerned about that Angel taking a swipe at your corals.

125G Reefer

i think triggers are considered non-reef safe because they will eat inverts, not necessarily corals. I have a pair of bj triggers in a tank with a ton of zoas, lps, sps & shrooms and they never look at any of it. They don't really bother my inverts either.

Angels, that's another story. I would be more concerned about that angel taking a swipe at your corals.

^ +1

thcmusic

So the corals to try are:

Mushrooms
Zoas
Leathers
Trumpet
Green star polyps
Palys
Branching hammer

Thanks everyone for you suggestions!

Ryan927

The reef safe thing seems to be so individual-fish-specific that I dont think you will know until you try.

Granite, this is coming from a guy who's on his first tank and not added a coral yet, but I read alot and I swear you're going to get 10 different answers on this one.

Just start with mushrooms and then try other cheap stuff until something gets eaten, then you will know.

Uncle Salty 05

It kind of depends on water quality, especially nitrate level.
Most FOWLRs are heavily fed causing high nitrates.
What is your nitrate reading?