Adding GreatStuff Background to filled tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9897266#post9897266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daytriper
I had a old tin boat it ended up under a waterfall...

And you think that you can just say that without telling us the story? lol

Yep, I agree perpetual.... We need a Paul Harvey step up with "the rest of the story".

Let me guess.... "Boy... sure is a hot day out here - a nice, quick, cold shower would feel great!"

Does anyone have pics of how this looks? And sence you would be setting it up why couldn't you add weights to the bottom section of the eggcrate and then use the Greatstuff to cover it. You could make it as heavy as needed to hold down your creation and cover it up at the same time. LMK if there is a place I can see some of these setups. Thanks

What I did was finish my rock out of the tank, and used super glue gel (lots of it) to glue it to my back wall.

I did this wither everything still in my tank during waterchange.

Seems to be working great!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9937157#post9937157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maeda
What I did was finish my rock out of the tank, and used super glue gel (lots of it) to glue it to my back wall.

I did this wither everything still in my tank during waterchange.

Seems to be working great!

How long ago??.....

Got any pics???

PAGE 2

SBC

DSC02447.jpg

In my tank

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

After curing, painting, and acetone dripping

I posted this in some other foam thread a little while ago, but I don't know where it went off to...

While the greatstuff was curing I dripped acetone on it, to eat away at some of the foam. This gives it a nice natural texture.

I dripped it on after about 15-20 minutes of curing. I would slice and rip at it with a razor and my fingers, then drip acetone on it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9942065#post9942065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maeda
While the greatstuff was curing I dripped acetone on it, to eat away at some of the foam. This gives it a nice natural texture.

I dripped it on after about 15-20 minutes of curing. I would slice and rip at it with a razor and my fingers, then drip acetone on it.

Where does one get acetone at ??

If I'm not mistaken, you can find it at your local neighborhood Wal-mart in the Health and Beauty Aids section, or in your wife's/girlfriend's closet. It's finger nail polish remover!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9951187#post9951187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bguile
If I'm not mistaken, you can find it at your local neighborhood Wal-mart in the Health and Beauty Aids section, or in your wife's/girlfriend's closet. It's finger nail polish remover!!

Yes I know that acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. But I was not sure if he used pure acetone... I am not sure if nail polish remover would provide the same effect...

You can get ahuge can of acetone at your local hardware store.

The paint I used is a combination of Krylon Fusion Paints.

I used a base coat of black, then sprayed some tan, then misted black, then misted tan. It makes the rocks look much more natural, and they stand up to the aquarium better.

HTH!

People talk about the buoyancy of the GreatStuff once added to the tank... Could you make a small "solid core" out of portland mix and have the GreatStuff around that so that it would not float to the surface...

Another idea I had was using the eggcrate with the GreatStuff applied and attached to the bottom you could use a PVC pipe with portland mix inside capped off to weight it down...

I'm a little lost here- whats the point of the eggcrate behind the gs? Kinda off topis, but I have been into vivariums for awhile, and we just put great stuff straight on the glass. You won't have to worry about it holding in place. Some people put a little silicone behind on the glass first for beter adhesion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9952803#post9952803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoyta
I'm a little lost here- whats the point of the eggcrate behind the gs? Kinda off topis, but I have been into vivariums for awhile, and we just put great stuff straight on the glass. You won't have to worry about it holding in place. Some people put a little silicone behind on the glass first for beter adhesion.

Since the title is this thread is "Adding GreatStuff Background to filled tank" you can't really apply the GS to the glass with water in the tank... In my case if I were to do it to my tank which is filled as well and there is no way I am going to drain a 600gal display... Also I wouldn't want to attach the GS to the glass as it would be alot harder to remove (if I ever wanted to)... If it was on eggcrate then it could be easily removed...

Back