adding LED to CF quad

oarpanicdave

Hello all,
I am looking to upgrade my nano cube quad CF lightening system to be able to accommodate SPS and eventually a clam. I am not in a position to upgrade to the nano cube LED hood at this time and wanted everyones thoughs of adding a strip of either 12000k or 14000k LED white and a strip of actinic to the existing light fixture. The current hood is 10000k/7100k 50/50. I have read mixed reviews as to whether the blue side is actinic or just a blue bulb.

50/50 is 460 and 420nm iirc. That is actinic and blue.

Can't help you with the leds but I doubt it would still be enough for sps and a clam.

It is probably best to wait it out until you can get a fixture that is known to provide the proper lighting.

That was my thought at first as well, but I know that actinic is not measured in Kelvin, thus the confusion as to why it would be rated at 10k/7100K. In regards to the addition of LEDs, my understanding of the challenges with some SPS and clams is that the stock lightening does not provide the wattage or Kelvin ratings necessary to support those creatures. I guess the crux of my question is whether adding LED's at a higher Kelvin rating, as well as the addition of true actinic if those are not, would create a cumulative effect and thus enable the addition of more challenging organisms.

what organisms are you currently keeping and what are you trying to keep? I Had a Biocube 29 with the stock lighting and was able to keep LPS and softies just fine. that's quite a bit less lighting than you have if you have the cf quad. I'd try to find someone in your area that you can rent/borrow a par meter and figure out exactly how much light you're working with.

I ultimately tore this tank down and set it back up with a couple ecoxotic panorama pro's that I already had lying around from another build. These two strips (1 50/50, 1 all blue) are providing enough light for great growth on several acro's, a few montipora, and a bunch of LPS. I'm planning on adding a third strip; however, I don't think I actually need it. I'm simply going to put it up front and angle it towards the coral instead of straight down to see if it helps with some shadowing. I'm picking up a par meter from a LFS today and going to take some measurements to help me better decide what's best for my reef.

How much $ are you looking to spend?

I use ecoxotic panorama pro's as well. 2 blue/white and 1 blue/magenta on my 20g long. For the money I would do a reefbreeders value fixture or maybe a kessil.

Currently I have some LPS, Zoas, Polyps, and an SPS. Not sure of the name of the SPS, it was a frag, and honestly was purchased mistakenly. I was not prepped for moving in to the SPS realm when I purchased it. I want to upgrade to LED to enable versatility in my coral and possibly a clam down the road. I considered the LED hood from JBJ, but there appears to be several options that are more cost effective, rapid LED, TrueLumen, etc. Honestly, still being new to the hobby, I am not sure the best route to take. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Back