additives for softies?

fish 511

Well, I am converting to a soft coral dominant reef, and have never kept coral before. I was just curious as to what was neccesary to be added to the water to keep the guys happy. Right now I am just adding Kent's Liquid Calcium to keep up my calcium. Other than that, I am just doing about 10% weekly water changes. What do you guys add for your softies?? THANKS

Alkalinity is a major factor here. I would recommend getting on a balanced alk/calcium suppliment to keep your levels in check. Here's a great read for dosing in reef aquaria. ;)

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Drummer reef,
Thanks for the link, appreciate it. Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I meant do you add like phytoplankton or anything like that. I heard that softies sometimes grow better in water that is not prestine, is this true to some extent? LMK, thanks

all corals like some nutrients in the water... still a good idea for a skimmer and managing your nitrates for they will not pull that much out of the water to make up for a large bioload

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9891587#post9891587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fish 511
Drummer reef,
Thanks for the link, appreciate it. Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I meant do you add like phytoplankton or anything like that. I heard that softies sometimes grow better in water that is not prestine, is this true to some extent? LMK, thanks

Ahhh, no problem. I don't direct feed any of my softies. Just give them light and some fish poopy and they will do just fine. :) But, you have to admit that is a great article though. :D

haha, yeah. Well, I am running a remora like what you have drummerreeef, and have a coralife 260w pc retrofit over my tank, so I think I am good to go. About how much turnover do you have in your tank??

Back