Adventures in the D-I-Y : The sump!

javi78503

Having never attempted much in the way of DIY I was a bit apprehensive about starting this project. Never the less, I swallowed the dread I was building up in my head and ventured out into the world to acquire the tools and supplies I needed. After a 30 minute trek down the road and back I ended up with what I hoped would be the beginnings of an amazing afternoon in the world of DIY. A rather cheap 20 gallon aquarium that ran me about 25 dollars, a few panes of glass, glass cutting tools and some silicone.

e56dfc1d21190ec3075bbf611188a060.jpg

I sat down for a moment, procrastinating as long as I could, while I watched a few videos on how the pros cut glass with a simple glass cutter. A full hour, and several youtube subscriptions later, I rallied myself and tore open the cardboard packaging on the glass cutter and distroyed the wrappings on a pane of glass. There was no going back now...Beast Mode had been activated! Then I rembered I hadnt read the instructions on the glass cutter and convinced myself I needed to piece the slivers of paper together to confirm, for my own peace of mind, that I hadn't missed any of the important instructions. After I was set, I gathered myself up and measured my first piece of glass.
Always measure twice and cut once I told myself as I worked the tape measure around that glass from every angle. I marked the glass, dipped my cutter into the mineral oils and with full confidence I firmly rolled the scorer across the glassy surface. An all too familiar sound rose up to my expectant ears. The sound of glass being scored! I smiled and proudly looked down at my first masterpiece... and almost instantly, as if through a will of its own, my free hand flew up and greeted my forehead with a firm slap! My masterpiece was crooked. I had marked my first pane of glass much in the same way a five year old would color on a wall with one hand as they bounded down a hall. once I stopped hyperventilating I picked up the glass cutter and started at my project again. This time with a bit more wisdom and skill I ran the scoring tool back and forth along the edge of a new tool, a ruler, and finally ended up with looked to be a decent straight line. Proudly, I picked up the glass, and in a moment I can only call the culmination of many second of slightly annoying work, and used the edge of the table to finish breaking the glass. SNIP! The glass tore, running a straight line up the length of glass... and sharply curved outwards after about 2 inches. SNAP! Again I tried and got a little further, SNAP! POP! CRACK! Slowly I made my way up the small fissure in the glass and at the end of many tense moments ended up with a lovely piece of glass that resembled a beautiful silhouette of a long running mountain chain from one side. Full of peaks and valleys, jagged and majestic, from beginning to end. It would have to do I told myself.... I placed the glass into the aquarium, angling it in slowly... and then CHINK. How could this have happened, I had measured twice!! The glass was still too long. With a muffled oath and a long sigh, I gathered up what remaining glass I had not masacred and set off in a huff down the alley and to the street. I took a sharp left once i reached the end... and walked the two blocks to a glass company and paid them 4 dollars to cut them for me (heh)!

20 minutes later I was back in my yard with some freshly cut glass and a newly opened tube of silicone. Having never put silicone on anything before I was a but puzzled about the best way to go about it would be, but after a brief pause I smeared a rather decent glob on my finger and dove in. Fifteen minutes later I sat back and stared proudly at my work. It was nothing a craftsman would be proud of, but it was mine! And in that moment, past all the smeared silicone, I declared my first D-I-Y project a rather wonderful success!

3f5d174c7a3fc119bc53185d3c06b6e4.jpg

Sorry guys im bored with nothing more than my phone. My first diy [emoji14]

Agreed. 3.5mm baffles simply are not safe in a sump, as they fracture and cut the operator way to easily. Also, contrary to popular thought, the water height difference is enough to cause them to bow due to water pressure.

I've never seen the need for more than one pane for a weir, but it looks well done. The fix for the window glass is easily done by simply sistering another pane on with silicon, cheaper than thicker to boot.

Looking good! I would double the glass up like someone said above. I did exactly what you did in the past and two broke when it was full and it was a huge pain to empty and fix.

Well, that's a bit disheartening... I called the glass company down the road and they sell a square foot of .25 inch glass for 3.70 something. I may end up replacing the whole thing later today then. Even moreso after I came to the conclusion while I lay in bed last night that I have the first baffle lifted instead of flush with the bottom. If I want to do a fuge in the middle that would more than likely clog up with sand. It seems the score now is sump 1... javi.. 0

Just remember if you have to cut the baffles out to go slowly and be careful. I bought a tank with a sump last year and wanted to reconfigure the baffles. I broke one of the baffles trying to get the silicone out. Didn't cut myself, and it came out easier once the piece was in 2!

Just remember if you have to cut the baffles out to go slowly and be careful. I bought a tank with a sump last year and wanted to reconfigure the baffles. I broke one of the baffles trying to get the silicone out. Didn't cut myself, and it came out easier once the piece was in 2!

Scrap the caddy clyde!

Seriously, that is reasonable for 1/4", eventually you'll be working in the tight space of the sump, lean an arm against what you have now and it will snap. If you don't like it bust it out and redo it, otherwise, double in another pane. They don't need to be perfectly the right size; just fitting between the caulk you have will be enough to strengthen the middle. A wee bit of tape will keep the top edges near level while the silicon cures.

Did the same with my 20L sump, and I agree you definitely want something a little bit thicker for the baffles. I have 1/4 inch and they are perfect. I would also suggest make the space between the bubble trap tighter:

eQ6tHO.jpg

jwhdJ6.jpg

Got 3 of the 4 panes of glass in. Ran out of silicone and decided to let it dry for at least a day before I add the third. Two od the panes fit perfectly, the other two are a smidge too long on a corner. Decided to just put them in slightly crooked since it doesnt have to sit perfectly straight for myself.
43e189c2ecbd1349210740335fcdd2c0.jpg

How much of a gap are you leaving at the bottom of one of those on the left? They look to both be sitting from this angle.

Im not going to be using the sump pump as a tank flow pump so I only need it to cycle about 3 or 4 times an hour so I dont need very high flow through the baffles.

If you need to drill any holes for bulk heads don't be shy. Its fairly easy, there are plenty of videos on You tube. I just drilled 3 x 1" holes on my 75 gallon sump yesterday. Bought the diamond drill bit from BRS for roughly $15 bucks. Again it was fairly easy.

Depending on the layout once I get everything installed I in my upcoming stand (bulding it next) I might. I am going to use an external pump so it may be easier to just drill through the glass

Back