Advice: 500+ Gallon Reef Tank on First Floor (Basement beneath)

btcog82

While I'm not new to aquariums, per say, as I have had fresh water tanks up to 350 gallons, I am both a new homeowner and a new reef enthusiast. The deal is I only want to do this once and I want to go big or go home. I would like a reef tank of 500+ gallons to sit in my formal living room, against a wall ~ easy enough...? No.

There is a basement beneath the first floor, so how safe would I be doing this and does anyone know a professional consultant in the Northern VA, MD, DC area?

I know a great guy in Richmond... I think he would be willing to travel for that size of a build ... Atlantis aquariums

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

You may need to 'sister' some joists to be safe and there are online sites that will help you figure the total weight. Look up 'sistering a joist' and 'aquarium weight' online. I could do it, and I'm no carpenter.

Drill two or four (depending on overflow boxes) holes in the floor and carry your downflow hose and upflows to a basement sump. Piece of cake. And so much nicer than the noise in the living room. I have that situation, and love it. It also removes the weight of a large sump (with that large a tank, you might want a hundred gallons, leaving you huge room for a fuge that's almost a second tank) ---from your upper floor and stand.

its very easy to add a few joists against the existing ones, then throw a beam up there and support each side with a very strong post. even if eveyone tells you the floor is strong enough as it stands, giving it a little more beef would be a very good idea. and like others have already said, putting the sump and all the equipment in the basement is a great idea. more room to make a fuge, and frag tanks, and quarantine tanks, etc etc etc... lol

Keep it Coming - Let's BUILD THIS

Keep it Coming - Let's BUILD THIS

You guys are awesome! My wife says if I 'm going to spend the money "this thing" ain't going down in the basement ~ she wants it on display!

White Shark, thank you for the information in that link. I'm reading as much as I can get my hands on. I think I may write that author direct as he states all the problems, but I still need a solution, which seems the rest on this thread are starting to come up with, sistering joints and what not.

Diver 86, if you want to PM me his info, it would be greatly appreciated! ...Otherwise I can look up Atlantis Aquariums in Richmond. Who should I ask for?

Sk8r, awesome stuff on beefing up the joints! So, stupid question, should I do it myself or hire a carpenter to do it?

Chaotic Reefer4u, thanks for the warm invite!

Leveldrummer, love the wiener dog photo! So would you recommend I do it myself or hire someone?

Aside from asking these questions, I see everyone with some awesome plumbing jobs, do you guys do that stuff on your own? While I admit, I'm great with my hands, I stink at plumbing!

Thanks again to all! We may have to make this a build thread... hahahaha!

Brandon

Plumbing isn't that hard when you know what to use. If you search the build threads in the "Reef Discussion" forum you will get a lot of great ideas. What it really comes down to is the PVC part of the plumbing section in your local Lowes and HD. I've spent a lot of time there lately :lol:

One thing I wish I would have done was, once I had my plumbing set up the way I wanted it, paint it all. It makes it look much nicer. Hides the PVC cement joints. Also wish I would have done a manifold with some open spots for future equipment additions. Things I learned about reading build threads.

When I moved here to Wisconsin and set the tank back up I did a manifold. I use the return pump to pump into the brute now for WC life is much easier.

I think you can do it if you know how to measure and handle a saw, and can pick a load bearing wall. If you have any worries once you look up the weight, otoh, ask a carpenter by all means!. An extra pillar or even a little pillar built into the wall below and jutting out a bit, might help, as a firm support right dead center. Note, re the basement, it's the sump and ugly and really noisey stuff that goes down there, via hoses, and only the pretty tank sits tranquilly in the room above.

whether or not you should do it yourself is completely up to you, its not a hard job by any means, but if your not familiar with a hammer and saw, you might want to seek a little help.

and yes, have the tank on display, everyone is just suggesting to put the SUMP in the basement to keep noise down and have more room for equipment.

The plot thickens

The plot thickens

Tonight I'm going to take some photos to share with you all, but I don't know if this is a good or bad thing...

It turns out right where I want the tank on the first floor, the water pipes run right under the floor there in the basement.

Tonight I'm going to take some photos to share with you all, but I don't know if this is a good or bad thing...

It turns out right where I want the tank on the first floor, the water pipes run right under the floor there in the basement.

Be careful drilling around existing water pipes...I drilled a $75 mistake...:mad:

If you can post pictures of your basement, the floor, ceiling, and area in general I can chime in as well.

I did this last year for my 220gal, and with what I did, I can place a 1000gal tank up there now someday if I wanted to. Will the tank lay parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists? What size are the floor joists? How old is the house? You are dealing with a massive amount of weight. While you don't necessarily need a structural engineer, you do need a good carpenter if you're not comfortable doing the work.

I would definitely build a fish room down there for the tank. Not having my sump under my DT makes things nice and easy. Also, just a heads up, you may want to add a circuit or two electrically to accommodate the demand a tank this size will have on electricity.

Where are you? I am in Damascus.

Also I suggest if you can build this into a wall so you are only viewing the front from the living room. That would be super slick!

Finally the pics

Finally the pics

So here are the pics of the sitting room upstairs (first floor) of where I want to put the tank. I would prefer the tank go on the left wall (as you look at the picture), versus the right due to a large window being there.

However, my wife pointed out, if I pu tthe tank on the right in the window, not only could it be on display from both the inside and outside, but it appears in the basement, this is a conrete wall under it. BUT... I know better than to keep a tank beside a window, that she of course will want opened.

Thoughts?

Fishgate - I am in Lucketts, not far from you at all (right on the VA/MD border).

Attachments

• Sitting Room.jpg
    Sitting Room.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sitting Room (left wall).jpg
    Sitting Room (left wall).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Basement under Sitting Room.jpg
    Basement under Sitting Room.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Basement.jpg
    Basement.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Basement Right Wall.jpg
    Basement Right Wall.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
im a construction worker

im a construction worker

i work around framers 8 hours a day every day.those floor joist, the particle wood joists, are enegineered to support a specific weight. IE: the floor,seperating walls and a load: people. i would suggest an engineer, and some real 2x12s in between the egineered joists with a few beams to act as headers maybe three 8x8 beams under the 2x12s you cant go too strong...... but if you go too weak...............

hope this helped.

Damn. Particle board floor joists...?

I'm assuming this is a newer home. surgy is right, they aren't ideal for the weight considered here. Maybe get some lvl's and sister the joist's on both sides of the particle board. Also block in between the joists. It would be best to utilize that concrete foundation wall for your tank.

How much do you like that window...? lol

Back