Advice for a Aquarium switchover

Sigmund

Looking for any advice people might have so I do not make any mistakes.

I am moving everything from my current 75 gallon reef tank to a new 125 gallon tank. This will include the moving of sand, liverock, fish, inverts, corals etc. My current 75 gallon tank has sprung a very slow leak which has caused me to final make the jump to the larger tank I wanted to get. I have someone from the LFS who will be helping me, and they have experience doing this kind of work, but I have a lot of time, money, effort, and love invested in my current inhabitants, and I would like to eliminate or minimize any casulaties. My current 75 has been set up for about 6 years.

I will be moving all gravel, media, water, live rock from the 75 to the 125.

New stuff will be: Tank, Lighting, more live sand, 50lbs of new live rock, Obviously about 40 gallons of water will be new RO water.

Any advice suggestions, or things to try to avoid. Any help would be appreciated, as I am worried about this switchover.

Any advice

scarter

save as much of the old water as possible, get as much old water out as you can before you start to churn things up. would not recommend saveing ther old sand, I would replace it with new and seed it with some of the old sand. to much stuff in there

Kahuna Tuna

Great advice so far and I would also get a couple of new unused plastic trash cans, these are invaluable in doing the transfer. Scarter's advice about saving as much clean water from the system as possible is going to be key here. I have done this a few times and its always a pain. You dont have to keep the LR submerged unless its got sponges and/or corals on it but beware some fish may try to shelter inside the rock. If you have help this is a plus, I always had to do mine myself. I always tried to make a plan before hand on how the move was going to proceed. Good luck.

Cove Beach

I'm also in a similar situation (no leak)just wanting to upgrade and the tank will have to go in the same location so i guess i will have to pre fit everything so as to lessen the time everything is in holding tanks or buckets. Still getting up the nerve!!

Voxboy

Premium Member
I'm will be in the process of doing the same thing....65 to a 120.
This is good advice. Why not keep the sand?

rctradertwo

i just jumped in tank size also. i just got rubbermaid containers and put all water and live rock and fish in the containers with filter and heater. this gave me a week to let my sand settle and the new water to cycle then i added half of the old water to the new tank, and replaced the water in the rubber maid with new, then waited another day or two until i slowly mix the new tank water with the fish and rock. i put the live rock in the new tank a day before i transfered the fish over

Sigmund

Advice for a Aquarium switchover

Thanks for all the great advice. I am in the process of making about 50 gallons of RO water. Already have containers (3) that can hold 100 gallons between them, and have a heater and air pump for the fish during the switchover.

I also will be putting my new tank, where my old tank is currently. This does complicate things a little.

Thanks so much for the advice, this makes me feel better about the weekend. Hopefully the tank holds up till Saturday, I'm losing about a gallon a day. :-(

I'll post how it went after the weekend.... Thanks Again~

u418936

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9241594#post9241594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scarter
save as much of the old water as possible, get as much old water out as you can before you start to churn things up. would not recommend saveing ther old sand, I would replace it with new and seed it with some of the old sand. to much stuff in there

This man speaks the truth. Make sure you buy new sand. When you take your live rock out of your aquarium, your sand bed will become loaded with detritus. So, if you use your old sand, your nitrates will be very high.

Sigmund

125 is up and running

125 is up and running

Well the switchover went pretty well, nothing died, no damage to the house or other equipment, though my back was sore by the end of the day.

One close call, when we were catching all of the fish from the old tank into the holding container, both me and my friend were catching the fish and thought we had got them all. When I started to shovel out the old gravel from the tank so it would be easier to move I noticed something flopping around in the scoop of gravel, came to realize it was my leopard wrasse. He buried himself in the gravel when we started to catch the fish, I thought my friend netted him, and he thought I did. Luckily there was still enough water that he was able to breathe, and other than a rude awakening to his gravel nap he was ok.

The other lesson learned is make sure your new tank sits level to the ground before you add all the water, especially if you have an overflow. Even though my old tank was level where it was, this tank was longer and was not level. Result is my one overflow does not work as efficiently as the other. Probably going to need to quickly drain some of the water so that I can sqeeze a shim under the one side to level it back. Sure would have been easier if i would have done this before I added all the water back.

Thanks for all of the great advice, it sure helped...