Advice for keeping Queen Angel

jmccown

I'm elated, I just picked up the fish I have been wanting for over a year, a queen angel. It is in QT right now. I'll probably keep him in there for a couple weeks or so till he starts eating good and all. I brought him home last night and he wouldn't eat mysis shrimp. So, I put some mysis and brine in a cup last night and am soaking it in garlic. I'm hoping he starts eating when I get home from work this evening. He's small right now, about 3" or so. I was looking for some general pointers in keeping these fish. I've never head an angel, except for a coral beauty. What is the growth rate for these fish. I can't wait for him to grow out. His color is amazing. He will be going into my 380g tank. He will be my "show fish".

Saw one at the local fish store, they got it in by mistake a few weeks back. It's about 5 inches long and it has killed a three other triggers and a snowflake eel so far, its in a tank by itself now. and will not take company. It is a beautiful fish but a holy terror. maybe you will have better luck with yours, good luck and keep us posted

It seems very temperamental so far. What size tank did they have the angel in? Mine will be in a large tank and growing from about 3".

I have a Koran angel right now that loves forumla 2 flake and frozen mysis. I also feed Prime Reef flake and Nori sheets. All is soaked in slecon and sometimes in garlic powder.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9224444#post9224444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccown
It seems very temperamental so far. What size tank did they have the angel in? Mine will be in a large tank and growing from about 3".

There's was in a small holding tank for sale, maybe 75 gallons, it was larger than yours so you may have better luck. keep us posted

hey jmccown, good selection, queens are usually very hardy and pigs but territorial when they get big. just give it time

do you have any pics of your 380? what fish do you already have in there?

My Queen does not pick on any of my other fish except one, a Majestic angel, and I think that is because of the yellow color. If I were to compare eating habit sof my 4 large angels, the Blueface, Majestic, and Emperor would be the most likely to eat a meaty and veggie diet, and the Queen is a vegetarian. The Queen won't eat meat, but loves nori and sponge.

OK, it has started picking at an algae sheet I put out in my 55g QT tank. This is a good sign. I believe it is a very healthy specimen because it is very active right now. I will try to post some pics of my 380 soon. My biggest fish right now is a 6" vlamingi. I swear that fish has grown 3" in 3 months. It is about 3/4" thick right now. The vlamingi should be easily over a foot long within a year, maybe by summer. Here is some others that I have right now:

Vlamingi
Hippo Tang
Purple tang
Yellow tang
copperband
harlequin tusk
coral beauty
pair of maroon clowns
blue throat trigger
queen angel
3 chromis
I may have forgot one, but this is most of them.

Here's a couple quick pictures. Sorry for the blur, the fish would not stand still.

100_0793.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0771.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0781.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a 3" queen angel also. Mysis shrimp is her favorite. But you need to use mysis shrimp from Hikari brand ( small size mysis shrimp). I have other brands of mysis which is a bit bigger, and she wouldn't eat that. So the key is the food size. it must be small enough for her to swallow whole.

Gotcha. I think I have the larger mysis. I think I might have some small stuff. I'll try that tonight before I go to bed.

cool fish although your purple seems to have a bad case of hille

my buddies queen is about 10", 3 years old. he feeds twice a day and not much either.

btw do you have full tank pics?

Sure do. I'll post some full tank shots when I get home this evening. The purple tang does have HLLE, although he is on the upswing. I can't figure out what caused it. My logic is pointing towards a pump that went bad. I'm thinking it leaked stray current into the tank. That pump was replaced, plus I add a ground probe to the tank. The purple is healing up slowly. It did look worse believe it or not. Feeding him a little of everything and adding Zoe to the food seems to work.

i know you are researching on putting the sohal in, the only fish i have seen them pick on are blue tangs. not all do but a few i've heard do and a couple people on this forum have experienced the same problem. hopefully it will not be the case for you, or i for that matter :D

btw, are you putting any corals in the tank? can you list the specs on your tank ie equipment, maintenance schedule etc

i had one a few years ago that i had to give away when i joined the navy, mine was a baby like yours, was very timid and was best friends with my adult comet. he grew about 4 inches in a year. got his adult colors and forehead stars and kept his nice attitude

Queens are great. I've had one for about 4 yrs now. He was about 3" when I got him and is now about double. He eats everything. Loves the nori sheets though. When I put them in he will not stop eating till it's gone. Sometimes it looks like he's going to have a heart attack!! He's been good with all of my corals except when a got a Xenia frag. It was gone in ten minutes! If you get them young and feed them well, I would think you have a better chance at it not eating your corals. Good luck

Back