Advice need with newly acquired bellus angel

piusma

Hello guys,

I have just acquired a pair of bellus angel from a LFS. The female came in a little rough but the male seems to be fine. I gave both of them a formalin bath and started treating them with CP immediately as I suspected this specific LFS's system has velvet/brook/uronema.

The female's fins looked like it had rot and it had few white dots on its body which appeared to be from aggression. I was hoping the fin rot will go away if I keep the water condition pristine, it did not improve. I have been performing TTM with CP dosed water for the last 8 days. On day 3, I noticed she had 2 red spots under her mouth and a few big white spots appearing on her body. I started dosing furan 2 and metro into the water. After treating with furan 2 for 4 days the fin rot seems to be improving and the redness seemed to have reduced. But I am seeing a few more white spots appearing on her body & fin AND a couple of small wounds seemed to have fungus like growth on it.

I am now into the 8th day and I felt that it's doing better (It started being more active and eating more aggressively). However, the red spots under its mouth concerns me and the white fungus like growth on her wounds also concern me. Does anyone has any recommendation how I should proceed?

Should I wait for result after 2nd round of furan2? Is there anything else I can help this fish? It has been over 5 years since I've seen a pair of bellus became available and I jumped on it even knowing the female was in rough shape. I'm willing to try anything to help this two fish. Thank you for your help!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's eggs hatching after the dip. But what really bothers me is the wounds that has gotten some fuzzy white fungus like growth that doesn't react to furan2. They are now 4 days away from completing TTM. I'm thinking of discontinuing ick shield when TTM is over. Is that sufficient time to cure brook / uronmea / velvet? That's 1 formalin dip and 12 days of CP.

If that sounds good, I'm thinking of trying maracyn and maracyn 2 together with prazi pro. Does it sound like a good approach?

Thanks.

@ Deinonych, I have tried to take pictures of her but she moves fast and keeps swimming around. I was not able to take a picture of her wounds, the pictures are very blurry. I guess the upside is that she's still lively.

Her breathing is good and she is still eating, only if I can deal with her wounds that's on her face and on her side. The wound is probably around 1mm diameter, slightly raised, with a very light gray (whitish) color and seemed to have some fuzzy growth on it. I'm continuing furan 2 treatment because her fins are healing up nicely and her red spots under her chin seems to be under control too (although they have not disappeared, they seemed to be lighter in color).

I have 2 more days before the second round of furan 2 is completed and wondering if I should go with metroplex / kanaplex or maracyn and maracyn 2.

Took some pictures with a different camera and this is as good as it gets, I hope you could make out what it might have. It's the white speck that by it's face and one more in the middle of his body.

Thanks.

bellus 2.jpg

bellus 1.jpg

Performed another tank transfer today. Completed the Furan 2 treatment but the white fuzzy wounds has not healed. Dosed Kana and Metro this transfer and hoping that it would improve. Overall I feel like the fish's energy level has gone up, they are both eating better as well.

Hopefully she's going to respond to these two medication.

No sign of improvement with the fuzzy patch. The white fuzz lump is growing bigger slowly over time.

I have been keeping up with water change and don't think it'll help cure this issue.

Don't think it's bacterial because I've already ran through
Round 1: Furan 2
Round 2: kanaplex with metroplex
Round 3 Maracyn and maracyn 2

with no signs of improvement.

I'm feeling that it's fungus and I've removed all other medications and started treatment with melafix. Does anyone have a good suggestion how I should proceed? Good news is the fish is still eating and active, but I'd hate to loose HER.

yep.. generally speaking fungus looks fuzzy(grows) and bacteria eats things.. but.. you never know. melafix worked for me.. doesn't work for everyone.

Honestly, I would never buy a fish out of a system I know or suspect to be infected with velvet or uronema.

As for the sores - it could be a lot of things from uronema to vibrio.

The antibiotics you tried would not tread something like vibrio.

Flukes survive formalin?

I can confirm that skin "flukes" (Capsalidae) can survive formalin and freshwater dips by taking shelter under the fish's scales. I've literally seen it happen under the microscope on my last ventralis anthias.
Only the ones on the unscaled parts of the fins balled up and died.

Though these guys may be killed with a month of hyposalinity.

I think it may be lympho. Mine suffered similar symptoms, which gets worse and larger before getting better, and non-responsive to meds. Keep feeding them good food and keep water clean and it will go away on its own. Stress brought mine on due to shipping and tight quarters in QT. It is great that she is eating.

Thanks for sharing your ideas guys. It's been driving me crazy and I've been researching online everyday.

ThRoewer, there is nothing that would stop me from picking up these guys really. We don't have the same options here in Canada when it comes to buying fish. And we don't have luxury of ordering from online vendors really. Any other fish I would have passed, but I have not seen these guys available forever and I really wanted one badly.

I also believe that they have better chance of survival coming home with me than to other reefer who's not ready to deal with what they might have.

rc4kinu, does lumpho turn into ulcer? Her would is getting bigger and somehow turned into a raised ulcer.

Thanks for sharing your ideas guys. It's been driving me crazy and I've been researching online everyday.

ThRoewer, there is nothing that would stop me from picking up these guys really. We don't have the same options here in Canada when it comes to buying fish. And we don't have luxury of ordering from online vendors really. Any other fish I would have passed, but I have not seen these guys available forever and I really wanted one badly.

I also believe that they have better chance of survival coming home with me than to other reefer who's not ready to deal with what they might have.

rc4kinu, does lumpho turn into ulcer? Her would is getting bigger and somehow turned into a raised ulcer.

How did your angels turn out?

Back