Advice needed... Spotted Sweetlips

helitaiwan963

Hey guys,

So as some of you might have seen before, my parents kinda just went to the LFS looking for fish and came back with a yellow tang and a spotted sweetlips... I had no idea what a spotted sweetlips was till people ID'd it in my other thread...

Well i didn't know it was a fish that would grow to almost 3 feet long and my tank is a 75gal... Anyway, my parents finally got in contact with the LFS they bought it from and they wouldn't take it back... Surprising, i know. They told my parents that the fish grows very very slow (I read otherwise when I did some research online...)

Anyway, I'm needing some input to what I need to do with this fish... There's no way it can stay in a 75gal tank.

Thanks
Eric

BigKev23

If you guys are looking for great customer service, then go pay more from the LFS. The "wholesale" place is looking to move a lot of inventory for "wholesale" prices and could care less about customer service. I've bought from them several times and have yet to have a bad experience.

Back on topic, if you don't want the fish, then you should post it up for sale. I'm sure someone with a large fish only setup would be interested.

SkullV

They Got My Number
Brett from Tanked IS going to be in town this weekend. They love putting these sweetlips in tanks that are too small for them. Just bag it up and send it away with him.

DoubleM 10

im sure the research should be done before the fish is bought.

i cant count how mant times i go to the store, "window shop" then go home research the fish or invert and then go buy it. most of the time the fish will be at the store for a bit of time and you can buy it after research is done. even if its sold their will be another one sooner or later.

helitaiwan963

I know the place. They told me purple lined dottybacks are peaceful and will not bother anybody. They were right. It is not bothering anyone living by itself in the sump.
Yea, i keep telling them don't trust what the people there are telling you.
No surprise. I've never had great customer service from that place.
People there are great and friendly... they have pretty good fish but it's like walking into AA in hoffman estates and asking the people who work there. They're not gonna be very knowledgable on that stuff.
its not reef safe is it?
nope, research i've done said "with caution". May or may not nibble on corals...

If you guys are looking for great customer service, then go pay more from the LFS. The "wholesale" place is looking to move a lot of inventory for "wholesale" prices and could care less about customer service. I've bought from them several times and have yet to have a bad experience.

Back on topic, if you don't want the fish, then you should post it up for sale. I'm sure someone with a large fish only setup would be interested.

+1
That the option that makes the most sense for me though. Hopefully it can be caught pretty easily...

Brett from Tanked IS going to be in town this weekend. They love putting these sweetlips in tanks that are too small for them. Just bag it up and send it away with him.
hahaha, :p
im sure the research should be done before the fish is bought.

i cant count how mant times i go to the store, "window shop" then go home research the fish or invert and then go buy it. most of the time the fish will be at the store for a bit of time and you can buy it after research is done. even if its sold their will be another one sooner or later.

Yes, when i usually want to buy a fish/coral. I usually do some searching online of what I see in people's tanks that I like and then go to the LFS and look for them. Or i'll hop on my phone and do a google search on whatever thing is that i'm interested in that I don't know about. My parents have not learned that yet unfortunately. I'm not too happy with their purchase of a yellow tang they bought that day either... I love the yellow tangs but I would've picked out a smaller one... I know 75gal is gonna be pretty close to their minimums for tangs...