Advice needed

soulja221

well the scenario goes a little something like this:

Just got a mini bowl 5 for my desk at work and want to turn it into a little nano reef. It comes with a whisper filter and a 15watt lamp. I'm thinking i can get a new light such as this one

CF light

but im curious as to how i should set up flow/filtration. Any suggestions or suggested reading?

The light you have in mind would work out just fine, filtration really is not needed IMO on a small tank like that. I would focus more on the water flow and really the water change schedule. If you keep up with weekly water changes and top offs with RO I think it will be ok. What are you planning to have on this tank?

Also might I suggest getting a NanoCube 6 (6 gallon) instead. With this you get internal filtration, lighting, and enough flow via the return pump. Not to mention the tank has a cover so you don't have to worry about water splashing all over your desk or accidentally dropping a foreign object that could cause a tank crash.

Although I'm not a fan of all in one setups it's probably the best choice for your application. In addition to the reasons mentioned the hood will limit evaporation over weekends.

I had a 5 gallon much like you are working with. along with the wisper i put in a very small powerhead to move the water around, it worked great and has been up and running for about 4 years...

Im wanting to do a bio or nano 24 when i finish moving but for the time im just looking to do something simple with the leftover parts i have laying around the house. The tank has a lid but when the new lights come in im going to cut a piece of plexiglass to fit over it and then mount fans for heat exchange. As far as flow im thinking about 2 small Fluval 1 plus internal filters. As inhabitants, no ideas as far as fish but i do want a few small frags of lps stuff.

Some mushrooms, zoanthids, and maybe a couple hermits and some snails will do great...as far as fish goes maybe just one will be fine on a 5G. Anymore than that might not be good for the livestock.

Back