Advice on Critters for Refugium

narwal

Hi,
I've just set up a new much larger (110) gallon refugium and was wondering what type of critters would help with the nutrient export process. I know I can have some seahorses and things like that, but I'm mainly concerned with adding animals to help with nitrite/nitrate control.

I already have lots of live rock, a 6" DSB, a huge mass of Cheato and mangroves. Can anyone suggest any other plants or animals? I know I shouldn't have any sand sifters so what about snails, hermits, shrimp, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Well if it is a "refugium" you don't want anything that would munch on your pods. I have always just used snails in my fuge. I let the things i didn't put in there take care of the rest (worms, mini brittles, ect).

Well if it is a "refugium" you don't want anything that would munch on your pods. I have always just used snails in my fuge. I let the things i didn't put in there take care of the rest (worms, mini brittles, ect).

Yes, I'm aware of that. What do you think about the following possibilities:

Bristle worms, amphipods, copepods, and microhermits
Trochus snails (Trochus intextus) and strombus snails (Strombus maculatus) macroalgaes including red macroalgae (Gracilaria parvispora), green macroalgae (Ulva sp.), gold macroalgae (Graciliara sp.),

I am of the NO caulerpa (Caulerpa sertularioides) school so that is out.

Variegated Feather Duster (Bispira variegate) from the family Sabellidae
Brittle & Serpent stars

Thanks for your response.

Back