Advice on custom 3 gallon pico LED lighting (rapidled)

Asterix

Hello M8s

I have finally decided to give LED lighting a try. I had been apprehensive in the past, but it appears LED lighting has become more than viable (I have seen some awesome growth pics).

That being said, I was wondering if I could call upon your wisdom to avoid any mistakes that are only discovered from experience (of which I have none in regards to LEDs).

My intentions are to light a 3 gallon (partial fill) cylindrical acrylic aquarium (custom cylinder) measuring roughly
~ 8 Inch Diameter
~ 14 Inch tall (water level ~12 inches )

The tank is 360 degree viewable. I plan on using the following lights arranged around the outer circumference of the custom circular\cylindrical hood.

All lighting items are being ordered from www.rapidled.com I have heard nothing but good things about this company and the products, plus they have everything I need.

----ITEM LIST----
3x Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs ---> (~3 watts per bulb, right?)
3x Royal Blue Cree XP-E LEDs
6x 60 Degree XP-E Lenses
1x 2 color dimming kit
2x Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver --->

One driver for each color. I'm only using 3 out of 6 possible LEDs. I figure this gives me room to upgrade if I need more light, or since i'm using waterproof lead wires, I might run a white led or two down the in-sump refugium). Are there any problems associated with only running 3 of 6 leds on a 6 led unit?

So basically, the lights will be staggered around the circumference of the hood spaced equal distance apart. The lights will be about 5 to 6 inches above the water line and the water is about 12 inches deep minus a 1 inch sand bed, so the light will need to penetrate ~11 inches of water.

So, will this be enough or too much light? Will I be able to keep sps and \ or soft corals with this?
Do you see any problems with the plan? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks In advance
Asterix

jwoyshnar

I think that may be too bright. I was gloing to do the same setup for my son. I was going to do 1 cool white, 1 royal blue and 1 blue. Youll have to let me know how you make out.

Asterix

I think that may be too bright. I was gloing to do the same setup for my son. I was going to do 1 cool white, 1 royal blue and 1 blue. Youll have to let me know how you make out.

You might be right, it certainly could be on the bright side. However, I have to contend with a centered overflow and need to be able to spread the lights out along the outer circumference of the tank (so a singular centered light source is not optional). Although it is an inefficient use of the system, I figure if the lights are putting out too much, I can always dim them to compensate.

I'm more worried about not having enough :) I'd like to have the option to do SPS, although now I think I will primarily keep softies for simplicity's sake. I would love to hear some more comments! I'm ready to order the things as soon as I feel confident that this is the best setup for my tank. Please advise:bounce2:
Thanks
:) -Asterix

zero26

MoneyPit Maestro
I'm not sure you can only run 3 LED's on a meanwell driver. But I could be wrong.
It is alot of light I run 12 on my 20L frag tank