Advice on feeding new fish please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean.mirage

On Saturday I picked up:
1 - powder blue Tang
1 - Purple Tang
1 - Male Watanabe Angel fish. (he was at fish store for 3 weeks and healthy)
It is my first time owning a deepwater angel or Tangs.
I have tried feeding veggie flake (with garlic drops in it), mysis shrimp (with garlic drops in it). And Dried purple kelp (with garlic in it). I put garlic on everything because I am worried that the Tangs might get Ich, the powder blue already has very tiny specks, but that is standard with any Tang, I was told Garlic will take care of that in a hurry.

I have seen the tangs both picking at algae around the tank. But neith is interested in the kelp, and they pick at the rest of the stuff sparingly, but mostly spit it out.

The Watanabe Angel has showed no interest in eating anything.
Am I feeding the wrong stuff? , according to what I have found online, This is what they like.

Any recommendations?

Should I be worried?

I wouldn't worried for now as they are probably still acclimating to their new environment.

Try some Nori and/or Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies ... or something similar.

Also are you using a veggie clip and securing some food on some rubble?

Sooner or later they will get pretty darn hungry and will eat.

Finally, try stopping the garlic and see if that makes a difference.

I have Juian Sprungs purple sea veggies, I heard it is the best, that is what I have been feeding them on a clip. Has anyone heard of them not liking garlic?

I put the veggie clip on the glass near the bottom.

Garlic isn't so much an ich "cure" as an appetite stimulator. Fish that eat tend to have better immune systems which makes them more resistant to disease.

I'd hold off on the feeding for a couple days and let the fish settle in and develop an appetite.

Tangs are grazers. I've had great success with tying the nori to a piece of rubble rock and pushing it into the rockwork. The Tangs and Angels will graze on it.

They may not like the purple kelp you bought. Try some other types such as red or green. The best value is to go to your grocery store or an Asian market and purchase plain nori sheets (no seasoning). At our markets, it is located in the International section.

You really should have your new fish in qt. This allows them time to get acclimated and eating before having to adjust to the other fish and bright lighting in your display tank. Also, if one fish is sick, you will not kill all the others.

Joyce

my QT tank is only a 30G, which means They will get too stressed. This is the only large fish I am buying, so I guess I have no choice but to take my chances. I wish I could put them in a QT, but I figure that #)G is so small that I will stress them out more and encourage ich.

my QT tank is only a 30G, which means They will get too stressed. This is the only large fish I am buying, so I guess I have no choice but to take my chances. I wish I could put them in a QT, but I figure that #)G is so small that I will stress them out more and encourage ich.

It really isn't fair to bring in 3 fish without an adequate setup to take care of them if they are not well. Actually, you have purchased 3 large fish, not 1. Adding them directly into your display tank is not the best option, as you are finding out. A 30 gallon qt is big enough for one of the fish. Here is a good thread with info on how to set one up so that the fish does not get even more stressed:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310176&highlight=quarantine+killer

Joyce

Please read above posts. I never said they aren't well, they are well. i am being preventative. the likelyhood of tangs having a bit of ICH, espescially when being introduced to a new environment is realy high. And whether I add them now or QT them and then add them, it will make no difference. ich is something that always present in every tank out there. Anyone who says differently is being ignorant. I do QT, but in this circumstance, directly adding these type of fish was the best option. No one can afford a 60 Gallon QT tank. not a proper one. My Qt tank has proper lighting, flow, filtration, and skimming as to provide a proper Qt environ ment fo coral as well. Please think about that before you run around lecturing people indifferently.

Please think about that before you run around lecturing people indifferently.

So, it's called lecturing when you don't agree and advice when you agree. I guess you don't understand when other posters try to give you information and links that may help you. It's kinda the purpose of RC. No one knows what you know or don't know or what you have or don't have, other than what you posted here and the little info that is on your sig. line.

You kept bumping because no one wanted to help you and now you know it all.

I will stay out of your threads.

Good Luck with your fish.
Joyce

Last edited:
we all have our QT practices, and tang opinions. And it seems on this forum, you can't get advice on any other subject without being bombarded by the tang police or QT police.

we all have our QT practices, and tang opinions. And it seems on this forum, you can't get advice on any other subject without being bombarded by the tang police or QT police.

Hum, you didn't qt and just added three new fish to your display tank, so I guess that is your qt practice. It seemed that a link on qt was appropriate.

Hum, you have a tang with ich and fish that are not eating, so I guess the recommendations on how to unstress your fish in qt to get them eating and healthy so that they can make the transition to your display tank are worthless too.

You can call other posters' names ("tang police/QT police), but the fact remains that you kept bumping your post and now don't like the advice. Heck, you can feel free to ignore it, but you should have the decency to not resort to name calling those that tried to help you just because you don't like what they said.

As I said, good luck with your fish.
Joyce

Macimage. Why ARE you still coming back to this thread. I haven't named called once, I am simply calling it what it is. I choose to follow a lighter QT regiment, I believe that certain species do better without it. Why are you so mad that I don't share the same opinion? I NEVER ONCE asked what QT practices you recommend. I really don't care to hear your advice on that subject, I have looked into it extensively before, and I have had success with what I feel works for me. You simply took upon yourself the obligation to force your views on me.

I asked a perfectly good question about feeding. I was staing what I was feeding them so far and why. I have never owned a tang before or a deep water angel, so feeding them properly to optimize their health was a concern for me. I believe that QT'ing increases stress on larger fish that need swimming space. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you do not want to answer this question on MY thread then please don't leave remarks that are not constructive or helpful. You may want to take this into consideration before you post on other threads.

I hope I have not upset you. That is not my intention. I would just greatly appreciate if this forum and website could be more beneficial, and when members get answers to the questions they actually ask in a constructive and friendly manner. It sures goes a long way towards that goal.

If you do not want to answer this question on MY thread then please don't leave remarks that are not constructive or helpful.

Unfortunately, I did offer helpful advice in my first post, which you chose to ignore as you are intent on focusing on my recommendation to qt. You could have just taken the feeding advice giving and ignored the qt advice. Here is what I first posted to answer your question.

Tangs are grazers. I've had great success with tying the nori to a piece of rubble rock and pushing it into the rockwork. The Tangs and Angels will graze on it.

They may not like the purple kelp you bought. Try some other types such as red or green. The best value is to go to your grocery store or an Asian market and purchase plain nori sheets (no seasoning). At our markets, it is located in the International section.

You simply took upon yourself the obligation to force your views on me.

I was trying to help your fish. That is the purpose of RC. No one here is forcing their views on anyone. When you post on a public forum, you should realize that not everyone will agree with you. Also, you have reached a new low calling this "your" thread and requesting that someone not post to offer you advice because you didn't agree with it. I don't think that is the purpose or spirit of RC.

Good luck with your fish. It's too bad you didn't like my advice, as I have 2 watanabe angels, two tangs, 1 swallowtail angel and 1 bellus angel. The angel photos are in my gallery.

I thought I could help you, but obviously not. I will NOT check back on this thread. Perhaps others that do not even have the fish you inquired about can post advice you like better. I am out of "your" thread.

Good luck with your fish,
Joyce

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back