Advice on lifting 180 3/4" glass tank

Daddyrawg

I need to get my tank off a pallet and onto my stand that is about 3feet tall. Would man power be enough to lift it that high?
Any ideas on what to use best as far as lifts? Etc.. suction cups? It's just so heavy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i haven't used suction cups, but several strong people is usually how i've moved tanks. i had a 160 oceanic that weighed about as much as a collapsed star, we were able to move it with 3 people.

suction cups and lifting straps are icing on the cake and would have made life a lot easier. given the chance to do it over again i probably would have conscripted at least one more person.

we have to bring the tank out a basement and in to a van, then out of the van, up 5 steps, and in to the dining room and on the stand. it was rough, but we got it done.

Wow, I can't imagine doing that with my tank. I guess I'll try to grab 3 of my neighbors one day.. ugh

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Definitely want suction cups just to have something to grip onto. Especially in the critical lowering onto the stand stage. Fingers!

Four big blokes is probably fine. Don't want too many

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I've moved a number of large Oceanic tanks in the past - in the good old days when they made the glass from depleted uranium. Never needed more than 4 guys - I just couldn't get myself to trust the suction cups.

My tank is a 300G, and I installed it during a house Reno. I cajoled the guys working on the house (about 8 of them IIRC) to help move it

Suction cups are a must, because tank edges can get slippery, and make sure you clean the cups and the surface before you apply them (I used alcohol because I'm paranoid). You want a good grip.

But the basics of it were: use as many people as comfortably fit around the tank without getting in each others way. That way, if one person's cups fail or his hands slip, or he trips, then it doesn't really matter.

Wouldn't recommend moving it without suction cups. Look at Amazon reviews to find the strongest ones, and get some guys together to help. I would have a couple more people than you think you'd need, just to be safe.

Took two strong men and one strong woman to lift my 102 gallon heavy-glass bowfront (with glass top) onto its stand. Which, given it was a bowfront, was all the people who could reach it to lay hands on it. They swore with the effort, but it got there in one piece.

If you are not fortunate enough to have it on shims where it sits, I recommend getting some 1" wood slats and using lifting power of a couple of people to get it just high enough to slip a dolly base under, then using the dolly just enough to get the slats under it so you can start with human fingers under it for your lift onto the stand.

Last edited:
Back