Advice on order of fish into tank.

MummysReefTank

Hi All!

This is my first post; I've got the tank up and running and it has been cycling for the past 2 weeks, its only resident a now delightfully bloated (dead) prawn.... and some Dr Tim's.
The tank size is 450l and I'd like people's recommendations on what order to add the below fish in. They are currently in the order I think would be appropriate from what I've researched so far.

2 x Banggai Cardinalfish
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
2 x Neon Gobie
6 x Blue Green Chromis
1-2 x Foxface Rabbitfish
1 x YellowEye Tang
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 x Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Flame Angelfish
1 x Lyretail Anthias
1 x Four Line Wrasse

I know the Tangs should go in together.
The plan is to add sand sifting Gobies at a later date when the tank can sustain them.

Thanks in advance.

V

So it translates roughly to a US 120 gallon tank, with plans for some highly territorial/aggressive/large species. I might get flamed for this, but I'd stick with just the clownfish and the chromis and call it full.

So it translates roughly to a US 120 gallon tank, with plans for some highly territorial/aggressive/large species. I might get flamed for this, but I'd stick with just the clownfish and the chromis and call it full.

One tang or the rabbitfish is plenty in that size tank, and I'd consider a bristletooth (tomini or white tail) rather than the others. They stay smallish (for tangs) and are fairly peaceful.

You couldn't make be put a dottyback in any tank of mine. Although they might start out ok, it will eventually start killing the other fish in the tank. It's sorta what they do IME. Ditto with the wrasse although the 4line is rumored to be less problematic the a 6line.

You can get away with one of the dwarf angels, but two will be asking for problems as well.

The cardinals, goby and anthias will do ok, but get the anthias as small females. If they are larger there is a likelihood that 2 or more will have begun the change to male. Only one will survive.

Clowns or chromis IMO. I'd choose the clowns. Chromis tend to pick each other off one at a time until there is only one left.

Any of the flasher or fairy wrasse would be ok, but you must have a well fitted (preferable screen) top or it will carpet surf.

jm.02

Last edited:
Back