advice

redslick305

my tank has been up for bout a year i want to add a hob filter besides the sponge and a bag of chemi pure elite should i add a Phosphate Sponge to it
its a 30 gallon mixed reef

CPE has phosphate remover in it. FWIW, I run Purigen and CPE in my nano. Its a very popular combo for the nano crowd. I have on occasion added a little bit of Rowaphos with the CPE to up the phos removing ability, but not sure if its even needed. I have some extra media bags, and add about 1/3 Cup CPE and 1 Tb Rowa, but my tank is half the size of yours. I change this out every couple of months, or more if I'm lazy, LOL! Are you having any issues now that you think you'd want to add this stuff? Are you skimming?

Need more information:
What are your phosphates at now?
Are you having a breakout of cyano/hair algae?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you run a protein skimmer?

I have used the "phosphate Sponge" in the past, not impressed. GFO is by far the best product available. You should look into using a reactor like TLF150 or BRS to run GFO. Maybe even consider a bio pellet reactor if you have a good skimmer.

i would say yes i had two nice red flame aglea bushes that i got rid of and dictyota took off along with caulerpa and some green bubble algea some fine hair brown algea that only seems to grow in the shade areas even with high water flow i have a a hob fuge with skimmer that was the only filtration

Do you test your phosphates? With nanos it can be hard to control phosphates/nitrates. How often do you do water changes?

You could try ramping up your water changes and adding GFO either in a chamber with good flow or add a reactor for better results.

Hanna checker is great. My tank runs around .03-.07, which is low considering I don't have a skimmer. However I do weekly 15% WC. I'm currently dealing with a minor cyano problem, but I thing it has to do with a recent lighting change. I'm just waiting it out. Showed up out of nowhere:uzi:

Maybe you should up the water changes for a month or 2 and see what happens?

Back