Advise requested on skimmer size

Kirino

Hello again, I'm very much considering buying a redsea p650 second hand and was wondering about skimmer size. The person currently has this very large Royal Exclusive Super Marine 200 which has specs of 800-2000 L. That's like 200 - 500 gallon. While this tank is around 660 L (175 gallon) + 130 L sump ( 34 gallon). So I know your skimmer should be sized to the amount of fish you plan to have. To be honest I don't think I'll ever have tons of fish. They are way expensive and I kinda want mostly corals, with a couple of nice, healthy fish. That said I did read that you can control this skimmer by reducing the output of the dc pump.

So the main question is: if I reduce the output of the skimmer with the dc control, would it be fine even if I had only like a couple of fish? Or should I really just not buy this skimmer and get a smaller one?

Secondary question: anyone know how much sound this thing produces? My housemates dislike the sound of my current skimmer, which according to them sounds like a truck on the driveway. Slight exaggeration if you ask me but ok.

Side note: it's a really good skimmer, pretty new and for half the price. So it's very tempting. I would probably pay this much for a much smaller skimmer if I had to buy it new. I mean ... it's pretty much the most expensive version out there but at half price ...

Don’t know anything about the Red Sea skimmers, but since it’s DC and you can dial it…I say go for it.

I was always told, generally you want a skimmer that can handle about double your tank size. I’ve never used that skimmer but it it’s adjustable with the DC pump, I also say go for it, that way it leaves wiggle room

Royal Exclusive does rate skimmers CORRECTLY.
If you want an HONEST opinion contact Slief @ the royal exclusive website.

I sent a message via the official site and got a reply, in short this skimmer is pretty oversized and would probably not work very well. Or at least not consistent. Like said here they have pretty accurate specs. So if it reads 800 to 2000 liter I should not use it on a 600 liter tank

Back