AEFW fluke in tank treatment

zapata41

In Memoriam
ok well i posted the origal write up in the link below and want to put a new thread up so others can read about my progress in the first of this kind treatment.
<URL>http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8780880#post8780880</URL>

ok that is the link, its only a few replys down from the top.

ok well just sharing for others as i feel it is my duty, someone had to be the first for red bugs and someone has to be the first for AEFW for in tank treatments.

Tim

Watching with interest...... I used the Fluke Tabs this summer when Stoney Mahoney first showed his success with them. I've never been happier! (Thanks again Stoney!)

This should put to rest if this is a viable in tank treatment (as long as you don't mind losing inverts)....Good Luck! ;)

yeah the invert loss wasnt totally a bad thing on my behalf, since i did get some weird limpets that were eating the base of my acros in my prop tank. well i just sucked out over a 2cup measuring cup worth of the little pests.

all the dead snails kinda blows though as they are costly to replace. but if you have the tank flow setup nice then all the dead guys tumble to a spot where you can easily take them out.

i check on a hand full of snails that werent looking too hot and noticed they are still alive, just looks like there foot is extended out of there body a good bit butthey still try to hold onto things and move.

Ok well i'll keep updating as things progress

Tim

ok well update time, unfortunately

ok well lost a few pieces over the night, in the prop tank a big formosa frag, also the parent colony from the display. A big knobby tricolor and all the frags of it. A. hyancinthus RIP,A.Austera, A.Chesterfieldensis, Big A.Tenuis ( was already showing signs of STN before treatment) and A. Nana ( also showing signs of STN) A. Gemnifera. A. Prostrata.

I am sure they are gonna be more losses as a few other corals look today how the dead ones looked yesterday.

SO hopfeully the meds arent still in the water but i dont know. I also have mixed feeling about doing the second dip in two weeks, as i feel it may lead to a total tank crash, i feel the fluke tabs must really have wreaked havok on the bacteria in the tank.

Tim

also note that the montipora seem to b doing fine, thank god as i would hate to loose my poker star, morning star , rainbow, you get the the picture of what kinds of monti i have.

If you have more questions about the fluke tabs and removal you can call the aquarium products fish facts hotline at 1800-453-7504. They have a chemist named Ralph that answers questions for them about the products. I would call and see what they say about quick removal. Also, maybe try another large water change to dilute anything left in there. Good luck!

well i am taking all the corals out that are alive and gonna place them in a near by friends tank. Came home and lost a handful more colonies , all 4 big birdsnest colonies, pure white. The house smells like sps that are out of the water. man this really is starting to be no fun. now i have to transport some 60 colonies over and try to pack them in my buddys tank. ok well i will keep ya posted on the progress.

Tim

ok, :( , well i moved all the corals i could fit into my buddy's 240, darn was that a sad ordeal. The whole time i was breaking off large colonies i was thinking that i only did this treatment in tank to avoid tearing out all the corals, now i am tearing them out, some dead and some alive.

well hopefully the sick looking ones will pull through in his system. tomorrow i am gonna take the prop tank offline and change out all the water and clean the eggcrate, then i will pull all the pieces from the display, all the encrusting montis and such, and place them in there, then the display wil sit acro-less for a month or so. when i am sure there are no more bugs, i will start placing the corals back in the display.

ok well enough rambling again. dang this is starting to really suck now

guess that kinda confirms it, you cant use fluke as a display treatment like interceptor.

Tim

That's really sad news about the tank. I really feel for you and this problem that we all will face if there is not a cure found. I really appreciate your attempt to find a solution, even as risky as it was. I know that I would never attempted it myself for the fear that you are unfortunately suffering. If it is of any consolation, I am willing to give your many frags to get your system started again. I will not go into detail what they are here, but you can PM and I will let you know.

I know some may not agree with what you did, but something has to be done about these pests for those with systems like yours. It was just not practical to remove and treat.

I hope that the rest pull thru for you

Tony

well everything in the tank here has finished dying, so hopefully all the corals at my friends tank will keep living.

Thank you forthe offer, will pm you when it is time.

Yeah i am sure there are ppl out there saying, " what an idiot and how could he do that." but i didnt just go do it because i felt like it, i was trying to find a method that would work, must have overlooked things like LR sponging up all the meds.

We'll see how everything looks tonight when i go to check them out

TIm

just think though, had this worked then it would have been a breakthrough in how we treat AEFW in tank. but since it didnt, we are stuck with dipping everything. man i wish i could have a thousand cases of red bugs rather than one AEFW

Tim

Tim,

I as well lost almost every sps I had. I'd have to say the worst smell in the world is a house where a ton of acros has died. That smell still burns my nose when I think back.

This should be a lesson to every one to dip every coral every time. I know of a few more people that are dealing with the same thing.

Keep your chin up Tim

Clint

I just dipped a few corals tmpcc I almost used fluke tab but couldn't bring myself to do it. I am sorry to here about you losses Zapata

Pm me when you are ready for coral again I think the risk you took for all of us sps freeks out here deserves a few frags when the time is right

oh yes, my chin is up and always will be. i just finished breaking oof all my LE encrusting montis, looks like i will have a lot of frags in the future. but now that the display is empty of corals, i am already thinking about re-aquascaping it for the future to have better flow patterns and to have something new to look at. gonna do some more huge water changes on the display later on this week when my salt bukets come in. I would suggest the fluke dips those, as opposed to the tmpcc, the fluke stuff works, just not for in tank treatments, the tmpcc just stuns the little dogs.

Thanks again, man the group of ppl on here is something very special. i would post some pics of the buckets of corals that i took out and am bleeching or the skeletons, but that wouldnt be nice, they are very sad pics. but now i will have some nice things to give out as presents in the future, corals decorations. so one tear jerking coral will turn into a joy bringing present.

Tim

Tim,

You might want to consider "cooking" your rock. Mine has been cooking since I broke the tank down and the rock is squeaky clean.

i cooked the rock last year when i set the tank up the first time. but some are a little scraggly so i may do it again

Tim

what is "cooking rock"?

i have a few acros i can frag for you as well when the time comes. LMK if interested. pm me.
lance

Back