Aefw

melev

Mitch, nice article. You kept it informative and fun to read.

Glad you got them out of your system.

He's also a very entertaining speaker.
Great article Mitch, I hope to see more in RK magazine.

Yes a very entertaining speaker, out of all the speakers I've listened to (macna included) he's my favorite, and I have retained what he says over time also!
Great article Mitch, I wish I came across your writings more often!
C

Thanks for all the kind words. You probably don't come across my writings that often, since that is one of the first articles I've done! Time is a bit limited and writing is not quite a passion of mine. I'll be writing some more for RC on various pests and predators as time allows.

Mitch

Well you should write and speak more, your right up there with the best! I really need to get up to the aquarium soon, this winter when work slows I will try to get up there.
I must say I was disappointed at the reef at the G.A. I know its a new system, but from what I hear yours is established and doing well.
Chris

Nice article Mitch:)
One thing I would disagree with however is AEFW not inhabiting "green slimer" Acros. I am fairly sure my infestation was started long before I realized I had them and shortly before I started dipping/QTing everything religiously on a slimer. The coral I had that was sold to me as a slimer didn't have the typical white dots associated with infestation but had larger white patches that seemed to go away and come back over time. It also exibited slower than usual growth, especially for a slimer. It wasn't till several years later that I realized that AEFW's were actually causing the damage. Of course it could have been another coral but the point is they inhabited that coral fairly extensive and the signs were atypical. I have noticed several other reefers that said slimers were one of their most infected corals as well.
thanks, Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10865514#post10865514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
Nice article Mitch:)
One thing I would disagree with however is AEFW not inhabiting "green slimer" Acros.

Hey Chris, you'll notice in the article it says, "There are a few species of Acropora that are usually not affected. In general, corals that produce copious amounts of mucous (e.g. the “Bali Slimer”

See, if you use the word "usually" and "in general", that covers all the bases if you're wrong! Using these words has covered me many times.

For the flatworms that I had, I never found a single one on my slimers. In fact, during all my treatments, I never included the slimers in that mix. I dipped a few colonies of each species that I have a couple times when I first discovered them. I then did the treatment and dipped only the ones that I found flatworms on and left the rest in the tank. The reason I did this was because I had in excess of 1000 colonies of Acros and no time or patience to dip all those. It seems to have worked. Due to that, I assumed they didn't effect slimers due to their excess snot. But as it is w/ most advice given in this hobby, it was a flawed assumption! Thanks for pointing it out.

Mitch

Nice article, thanks for sharing the info. I have the run of the mill flatworms. Will the levamisole hydrochloride work on them as well? Can I treat my entire tank with this-is the stuff safe for lps, leathers, etc.? I can take all the corals out, but there will still be plenty on the rock, sand, glass, etc. What do you suggest in treating the entire tank?

Omaha? Sorry, I don't know your background. Do you work/run the aquarium at the zoo? If so, nice job, I live five hours a way and I have taken the family there twice in the past year. They love it. Once again, thanks for the info.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10879718#post10879718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gholtmeyer
Nice article, thanks for sharing the info. I have the run of the mill flatworms. Will the levamisole hydrochloride work on them as well? Can I treat my entire tank with this-is the stuff safe for lps, leathers, etc.? I can take all the corals out, but there will still be plenty on the rock, sand, glass, etc. What do you suggest in treating the entire tank?
Omaha? Sorry, I don't know your background. Do you work/run the aquarium at the zoo? If so, nice job, I live five hours a way and I have taken the family there twice in the past year. They love it. Once again, thanks for the info.

You can use it in tank for those flatworms, but it is a much lower dose of 4ppm. Even at this low dose, it can effect bristleworms and such. I would just stick w/ Flatworm Exit, as it's readily available and I won't be responsible if your tank crashes from an overdose of Levamisole!

Yes, I'm one of two supervisors of the aquarium at the zoo. I'm in charge of all the coral and coral research and various other exhibits in the aquarium

Mitch

hmmmm, food for thought. Not sure I want to take that risk, but then again, the little S.O.B.'s are really getting on my last nerve. I think that I might treat the tank with Flat-Worm Exit every three days, doing the water changes between them for three rounds. If that does not work, then I might try Plan B. I have treated the tank twice before with Flat-Worm Exit before but it was a bit over a week a part and they came back with a vengeance. Any other thoughts or plan of action? I can re-populate the tank with pods, worms, etc.

The family has talked about going back to Omaha in the Spring. Maybe we can meet up and chat about reefing on a really large scale! Thanks for the advice.

Greg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10880286#post10880286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gholtmeyer
hmmmm, food for thought. Not sure I want to take that risk, but then again, the little S.O.B.'s are really getting on my last nerve. Any other thoughts or plan of action? I can re-populate the tank with pods, worms, etc.
The family has talked about going back to Omaha in the Spring. Maybe we can meet up and chat about reefing on a really large scale! Thanks for the advice.

Greg

I've treated a few systems w/ it, and never had any problems, you just have to be careful. Have you tried biological controls like Scooter dragonets or Melanurus Wrasse. I've been successful w/ both before.

Just drop me a line if your coming up. Always have a few minutes for a reefer. I can show you behind the scenes coral prop and our success w/ raising Elkhorn coral from spawn.

Mitch

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10880286#post10880286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gholtmeyer
hmmmm, food for thought. Not sure I want to take that risk, but then again, the little S.O.B.'s are really getting on my last nerve. I think that I might treat the tank with Flat-Worm Exit every three days, doing the water changes between them for three rounds. If that does not work, then I might try Plan B. I have treated the tank twice before with Flat-Worm Exit before but it was a bit over a week a part and they came back with a vengeance. Any other thoughts or plan of action? I can re-populate the tank with pods, worms, etc.

Greg

What kind of flatworms are you dealing with? Red Planaria? How big is the tank? Have you tried siphoning out all you can see daily before you even treat the tank? Reducing their population significantly can really avoid issues during treatment.

Yes, red planaria. I have a 75 gallon display tank, 25 gallon macro tank, and a 150 gallon stock tank with frags, live rock, etc. Yes, I vacummed out as many as I could see. Lesson learned is always treat everything before it goes in your tank -even from friends!

The pig wormer really works I cant find a flatworm in my whole system now and its a heck of alot cheaper then flatworm exit. I just went out to the farm store she asked me what it was for for tax purposes and she couldnt believe when I told her my saltwater coral tanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10911639#post10911639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buhdas72
The pig wormer really works I cant find a flatworm in my whole system now and its a heck of alot cheaper then flatworm exit. I just went out to the farm store she asked me what it was for for tax purposes and she couldnt believe when I told her my saltwater coral tanks.

at what dosage did you use the pig wormer?

Back