AGA Shattered out of now where. Pics inside.

triggreef

My brother recently bought a tank from my other brother, who bought the tank new. 95g wave front AGA beautiful tank. Since it was bought new from a LFS from my other brother, I know the tank was only set up for about a year.

The front panel let go and completely shattered. 95g all over the place. Inch of water over the carpeted living room, over the kitchen down the hall. Glass everywhere. Destroying his finished basement which is rented out, drop ceiling soaked and falling. Crazy. :thumbdown

The only thing I could imagine is from the cold a** water from the garden hose, mixed with the heat in the room? And apparently the front panel on a wave front tank is tempered. In case anyone was wondering.

Now All Glass Aquariums is no more, and was bought out by AQUEON as far as I understand. Any thoughts on if a manufacturer might replace the tank. You know just to be nice and show a kind heart? lol

1104130109_zps6c61fdaf.jpg

1104130109a_zpsd5a03a3b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

triggreef

Oh and the tank positioning on the stand, is from the force of the water blowing out. Pushed the tank right up to the wall.

PS the warning label on the bottom does not mention filling it with a garden hose is a bad idea. lol

anbosu

I doubt filling it with a garden hose had anything to do with the failure.

The tank probably wasn't level on the stand, placing stresses on the front panel causing the blowout.

BossHoggin

:eek2: i have filled tanks in the past by hose in the winter with decently cold tap water when they were freshwater or before i switched to ro/di. Cant say i had a result anything like this. I would contact the manufacturer if the tank is only a year old and caused that much $$$ in damage.

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
Zoinks! I've never seen a tank blow out from the front like that, what a mess THAT must have made. I wonder if all of the curved front tanks are tempered. Although cold hose water probably was not the cause, an uneven tank stand usually blows the bottom panel rather than the front. Probably will never know the cause for sure.

I know Marinland have a lifetime warranty on their tanks as long as you use one of their stands and do not drill any DIY holes in the thing (neither condition I have met with my new tank :(), so perhaps AGA/Aqueon has something similar.

marietrg

Sorry to hear about your situation. That sounds like a nightmare. Will your homeowner's insurance cover that? Do you have to have flood insurance? Please keep us posted.

mpfeiffer1

I have a feeling that the hose hit it and cracked it. It would not need as much as a quick flick and bye-bye... At least it was clean water. I had a 110 tank bust a seam on the second floor and made the house smell for weeks. The manufacturer replaced the tank but I was still left with wavy walls and probably mold. Sometimes your LFS where you bought it can assist. I heard the only time they replace them is for seams blowing-out but you can try... GL..

malady

looks like a flawed design to me

would never attempt a front panel like that unless in acrylic or really thick glass

Drae

RAIDER NATION!
The process of bending the glass could cause the panel to be weak in some cases. I've heard about 2 other times where these tanks have done the same thing. A lfs that is now closed had an employee warn me about these tanks. Very unfortunate.

Narwhal82

95 wavefronts had a tempered glass front which will shatter when it fails so the results of the failure are not unexpected. There was a problem with the method used to bend the glass that caused them to spontaneously fail. They were actually recalled back in 2005 soon after they launched. Looks like your brother got one of those tanks that didn't get sent back.

95 wavefronts were discontinued in 2010 so the tank had been sitting in the dealers shop for quite awhile before your brother purchased it. The fact that it still had the AGA sticker on it and not the Aqueon proves that too. You can contact Aqueon Customer Service about a warranty claim. Unfortunately a same shaped replacement tank is out of the question as there aren't any more around. Not sure if the warranty claim will still be honored as your other brother is not the original purchaser of the aquarium.

Too bad as it's a really neat tank and I have one in my living room that I love.

AGA was the old name for Aqueon before it became a full line brand. AGA became Aqueon in 2006. Aqueon didn't exist before then.

triggreef

Lots of interesting info, thanks to all that responded. Yes he does have home owners insurance, but he is on the fence about making a claim.

Not sure if the warranty claim will still be honored as your other brother is not the original purchaser of the aquarium. .

Yeah but my other brother is the original purchaser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Narwhal82

If your other brother still has the receipt it shouldn't be a problem.

Something else I noticed. It's a terrible idea to put any aquarium directly in front of an electric floorboard heater. I can see it in the background photos along the floor.

If the tank leaks (as this one did) you can start a fire and burn down the house. Even if it doesn't leak it will block the heat from the register and overheat the aquarium which could in turn cause it to crack.