Aggressive Clowns Bullying Anemones

JGray

Has anyone experienced clownfish bullying/being over excited and battering an anemone to the point of death?

We rescued a couple of clowns from someone whose tank equipment had failed and killed 90% of the tank.

We did have one BTA and the fish took to it very easily and for a few weeks all was peaceful. All was well until the nem closed up one night and they were literally digging their faces into it when I went to bed. In the morning it looked like it had had all of its tentacles bitten/pulled and it had clearly been under stress as it started moving.

Then it’s mouth opened and it pretty much died straight away.

We left it a week and got another nem. The clowns thought it was Christmas and excitedly started wriggling in it, flapping their tails and fins.

It was happy, 48 hours later, completely closed up and on the move (very slowly).

The tentacles look intact and the foot is fine etc.

Had anyone got experience in this? Any advice?

I’ve experienced that but it was almost always from poor tank conditions or a stressed, unhappy anemone already

I used to think the same n blamed the clowns

Then eventually I realized when the tank is healthy n balanced w/ sufficient lighting the anemones don’t react like that to clowns

I dunno - had a tomato that would draw blood when I put my hand in the tank... Killed btas - Torches and anything else that moved. Uprooted xenia and made a constant mess. I put up with it for a year or two and then jailed in the refuge for a year until it was rehomed. But I would agree that the 'stressed to begin with" does make a lot of sense. Only other fish that I ever had that was that much of a pain was a domino damsel... it stressed every fish in the tank.

I dunno - had a tomato that would draw blood when I put my hand in the tank... Killed btas - Torches and anything else that moved. Uprooted xenia and made a constant mess. I put up with it for a year or two and then jailed in the refuge for a year until it was rehomed. But I would agree that the 'stressed to begin with" does make a lot of sense. Only other fish that I ever had that was that much of a pain was a domino damsel... it stressed every fish in the tank.
Never bought another tomato after having a similar experience.

I’ve experienced that but it was almost always from poor tank conditions or a stressed, unhappy anemone already

I used to think the same n blamed the clowns

Then eventually I realized when the tank is healthy n balanced w/ sufficient lighting the anemones don’t react like that to clowns
Thanks for the advice! We’re going to retest the water and make sure there’s been no changes etc. We have other corals and creatures that are absolutely fine and typically quite sensitive but I agree - we’re missing something if it’s not the clowns!

I’ve also read that the tank may need to mature a bit more, so I think Sonny and Cher will be nem-less for a while either way!

One question I’m curious about is what is the size is the anemone vs the size of the clowns? I know if the anemone is two small, I’ve heard of this happening.

Has anyone experienced clownfish bullying/being over excited and battering an anemone to the point of death?

We rescued a couple of clowns from someone whose tank equipment had failed and killed 90% of the tank.

We did have one BTA and the fish took to it very easily and for a few weeks all was peaceful. All was well until the nem closed up one night and they were literally digging their faces into it when I went to bed. In the morning it looked like it had had all of its tentacles bitten/pulled and it had clearly been under stress as it started moving.

Then it’s mouth opened and it pretty much died straight away.

We left it a week and got another nem. The clowns thought it was Christmas and excitedly started wriggling in it, flapping their tails and fins.

It was happy, 48 hours later, completely closed up and on the move (very slowly).

The tentacles look intact and the foot is fine etc.

Had anyone got experience in this? Any advice?

Yes it can happen. I have seen where clowns love their anemone to death.

Sometimes I think it maybe because it is the wrong anemone for the type of clown. I think some anemones may be more durable. I mean in the wild clowns are associated with certain anemones for a reason or only found in the same region as certain anemones. When those are not available in a aquarium they will use something else. Just a theory.

I'd say if nem is too small for them, you will need multiple nems. If they have multiple nems they will disperse the love to them.
But if you have one and is less than 5" and they are bigger clowns then the nem will be overwhelmed.

How long has the tank Been established?

Live rock?

Skimmer?

Lights?

RODI?
About 3 months, yes to live rock, we have a skimmer and a filter, wave maker etc. It’s a little tank, so we’ve been doing water changes every week. A Radion XR15 light, running AB+ spectrum. We’ve topped up with RO water, but maybe not enough and the salinity might be out!

The water tested fine for Nitrates and Ammonia too.

We have an orange and black clown, and they’re about 2 inches and quite chunky!

I think we’ve concluded it’s combination of a newish tank and overly excitable clowns.

It didn’t survive unfortunately 😞

Back