AI Vega Color/Blue Owners Thread!

Sounds like if you are just getting a Vega Color, then here are the big things to hit:

1. The optics are wider than a SOL so mount the unit a bit lower to achieve closer PAR measurements.
2. Update the controller firmware immediately.
3. Mount the controller so that its power cord won't come unplugged on its own, also, use a DIFFERENT power supply than the one they provide (I use a DJ strip in the stand to power lots of things and it has a USB power outlet on it, so I plug in there, no problems).
4. If your lights are acting funny via wireless control, the channel you are using may be seeing interference from other wireless things in your house. Try a different channel.
5. Yes, the red and green make silly patterns, turn them down low and wait until we can get wider optics for those particular LED's.

Everyones solution to "scorching" your corals seems to be unique. some run low light levels, some are ok with high levels, so that is a personal battle you will have to fight.

I am still just getting the hang of them, but that seems to be the summary. Lets hope Director comes out soon and knocks our socks off.

I just switched from 3 MH Radiums and 4 T5s to 3 Vegas and kept my T5 supplementation.
My question is how to tell if coral are getting too much or too little light.
I started out with a 75% accillimation. My large orange monti started loosing polyps. I turned it up to 50% acclimation. Whites and blues run around 50-60% during peak times.

I have the same question as well.I dont know if my corals are getting too much or too little light from my vegas.

I have two of the vega colors over my 55 gallon mixed reef was curious as to what light intensity you have yours set at to get a nice deep blue look.

I have a 55 gallon (36x18x20) mixed (lps, sps, softies) and currently am running my Vegas at 35% white, 50% Blue, 50% Royal Blue, 50% Deep Blue, 30% red and 35% green at 9.5" AWL.

This seems to be a good balance for my tank at the moment and I really like the color. I started to increase the white in 5% increments up to 45% and ended up bleaching the corals a bit so I backed down to 35%. I might start increasing it in 1% increments and see what happens.

I spoke with AI and they said that they are making a wireless adapter for the SOL to work with the new controllers. The SOL will also work with the director when it comes out, and the upgrade path for the SOL is to upgrade to the VEGA first and then to the custom pucks. They also mentioned that the custom pucks will be adjustable down to 380nm so it will definately hit the 420nm range....

robin..

Forgot to say about the "no change" this means that the color that is showing will have no change for that timer as in 01. So it will not change on this timer or ramp time.
Example of timers
01................. 02.......................03........................ 04
8:00am........... 8:30am........... 9:00am....................10:am
D.blue...............R.blue...............Blue................. White red green
80%.................75%..................70%..................65%, 50%, 40%
3 ramp............. 2.5 ramp..........2 ramp................. 1 ramp
Doing this all lights while reach there highest out put at 11:00am
05......................... 06............................. 07................................ 08
6:00pm...................6:30pm......................7:00pm........................7:00pm
White,red,green........ Blue......................... R.blue....................... D.blue
0%,0%,0%................ 0%...........................0%............................. 2%
1.5 ramp................. 1.5 ramp....................2 ramp.........................2.5 ramp
This will get white red and green off at 7:30pm, blue at 8:00pm, R.blue at 9:00pm,
And D.blue will go to 2% for moonlight at 9:30pm.

Hope this helps explain it, you will need to find what looks best for %s and just put them to what you like. You have 30 time slots so if you want to do more changes you can or you can have red and green on its own timer and ramp instead of having them grouped with the white timer.

Hey Nobb,
Thanks for the chart. I am just seeing this now as I am searching for settings like everyone else. My only problem is that when I follow the chart my controller says timer 5 overlaps with timer 6 and I have tried all different settings and can't get rid of it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

I believe the only way it would be saying that is if it was trying to change the same color at the same time. Make sure on timer 5 that the blue has no change and on timer 6 that white, green and red have no change. When setting with ramp times you cannot change a % for a color until it finishes the ramp. So whichever timer your on the light your changing should show a % and all other colors will show no change.
Example of ramp
If your whites are set at 80% 9:00am with 2 ramp then the next timer you can use to change the whites cannot be any earlier than 11:00 am as it will overlap if it is.

Hope this helps let us know if this does not work

Also I believe that each timer cannot go back in time. So each must be later then the next.
01 7:00am. 02 7:01am. 03 7:02am
Not
01. 7:00am. 02 7:01am. 03 7:00am

Also I believe that each timer cannot go back in time. So each must be later then the next.
Not
01. 7:00am. 02 7:01am. 03 7:00am

Not '
01. 7:00am. 02 7:01am. 03 7:00am[/QUOTE

Thanks Nobb, I will try changing some settings. After I send you the question I started messing with the settings. I changed the hour of timer five to 4:30. Then it allowed the change. I ran the test and my lights were coming on with the blue at 5:00 am. I checked the lunar thing and it was set from 11p to 5a. I changed it to 8a. Now they seem to run ok. I think even though I changed my timer 5 to 4:30 I think I also changed the ramp time so I am still getting about 8.5 hours of white like your settings called for. Mine just come on and go off a little earlier but same duration. I have a 28" deep tank and my lights are 10" AWL. I also just put them on acclimation mode. at 50%. Had lights for about 3 weeks and already bleached a monti and I have brown sand and rocks now and my candy canes look terrible. I am assuming it is the lighting.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
David

I now have my white maxing out at 55%, green 50%, red 45%, blue 70%, r.blue 75%, d.blue 80%. My ramp for white green and red is set at 2.5 hours morning and night, my blues range from 3 to 3.5 hours, with all on at full %s for only 4 hours, which gives me 9 hours that the whites are on but only bright for about 6 hours. I'm still playing with %s so hard for me to say what is working good for corals. I have a candy,acan frag and trumpet which are all about 2 or 3 inches off the bottom, they seem to be doing good right now except the acan but it has only been in a week so cannot tell yet as it has not fully opened, but is opening a little more everyday.

New full tank shot with whites at 55%, Blue 70%, R.Blue 80%, D.Blue 90%, green 55%, red 40%
213A6400-8558-4D15-82F3-857042B5396C-570-0000011ED535802D_zps36598995.jpg

BE79AB6E-C80B-4865-8B48-F3FABB91BD7F-570-0000012019DBDC67_zps87925fdf.jpg

0CBCF4CD-C1F3-456F-AAB2-87E4728813F9-570-000001201DABBF90_zps9ab8aa58.jpg

Last edited:
Back