AIO, Skimmer and Return Line Question

doork

Hello everyone,

I purchased this AIO 80 gallon shallow aquarium with the chambers siliconed into the back left corner of the tank. There are two chambers, one for the skimmer and one to house the small return pump. I've been using these chambers for approximately a year, but they are noisy and really don't add any benefit other than concealing some of the equipment. I would like to abandon the return pump and maybe just use the skimmer compartment to hide the skimmer, but I'm not sure if this is possible. If I were to take out the return pump and keep the skimmer, would the outlet water from the skimmer slowly trickle out into the display from the teeth, or will it stay "stuck" in those two chambers? I've thought about trying to remove the box altogether, but a little nervous about the caulk job at the bottom as it ties into the caulk job around the bottom of the tank. Wondering what options I have? I wouldn't mind having my heater and skimmer showing in the display. Quick illustration attached.

Attachments

• OF.jpg
    OF.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Without a return pump you certainly won't achieve good "mixing" between the display and those sections... It won't be stagnant but it really wont be as effective as it could be..

Its very likely that the reason for the noise could be addressed though.. Can you determine the source of the noise? Got a picture of it up and running?

Back