aiptasia control

n8duncan

Ok, I guess the age thing is starting to catch up with me because I cant remember what that shrimp was that likes to munch aiptasia? The Joe's Juice just isnt cutting it. It seems the more I use it, the more that sprout out from the places I zap em'.

Nathan

i agree, in three weeks i had 4-6 apstasia. in 6 weeks i had 29 of them. i got two peppermint shrimp. within one day over half were eaten, literally picked the rock bare. by week 2 all were gone and have never returned. they breed like rabbits which in turn feeds your fish. theyre also asexual, any two will breed. mother nature at its finest. (i have them in saperate tanks now) REEF-ON!!!

It's a little hit and miss. I went through many Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) before I found a couple that like to occassionally munch on Aiptasia. Just make sure that you don't accidently pick up a Camelback/Camel/Hingebeak Shrimp. They are not reef safe.

Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) - Reef Safe
JKC-PeppermintShrimp-MichelleWisniewski.jpg

Camelback Shrimp (Rhynchocienetes uritai) - Not Reef Safe
o019_tif.jpg

Many thanks all!!! After sitting there a bit and pondering I finally remembered it was peppermint. Now if I can just find a couple that will do the trick.

Good luck. I went through six of them before I finally had two left that both pick at them. I have more luck with them pairing then I do eating Aiptasia :lmao:

Back