Aiptasia!! Help!!

Alvin88m

So my girlfriend noticed theres aiptasia growing in the my reef tank. Does anyone know how I can get those suckers out of there??

There are a couple ways. Easiest way is if the rock (or rocks) are easy to get to, pull them out and torch them (as pharmer said), or you can use gel superglue and goop it all over the hole in the rock they're in.

second option (but not 100%) is try to get a few peppermint shrimp and see if they eat them.

Another way is to get a copperband butterfly, or aiptasia eating file fish and see if they take care of them.

You can also use a high powered laser. Those fry them.

Aiptasia-x is another solution.

Last Wednesday I added 3 peppermint shrimp to battle my 41 aiptasia. Some very large. It looked like an aiptasia forest. Today I'm down to 2 withered aiptasia. They will be gone shortly. Don't feed much at all so they naturally look for food. Mine would only eat aips at night as well.

Thanks for the help everyone I'll see what I can do do tey grow pretty fast? Cause I'm out of town and can't really do anything about for another week or so?

I agree w the peppermint shrimp. Always takes care of my out breaks. Just make sure you don't have a long nose hawk fish. They will eat your shrimp

The Berghia Nudibranch eats only Aiptasia Anemones and can eliminate aiptasia anemone pest from your saltwater aquarium. Problem is that peppermint shrimp eat them. Look online and you can find them for sale.

technically they shrimp will eat regular food
i've never had luck with them. but a lot of people find peppermints to work like a charm

i use joe's juice for some spot cleaning some of them out of my tank

I use Lemon Juice and a syringe. Peppermints did not work for me even with small aiptasia. Peppermints will not touch large aiptasia. Lemon Juice and a syringe worked very well for me, instant death. I would've like to try the laser method mentioned above, but the lasers i seen online that have enough power to fry them, were expensive.

I tried the peppermint route without success. I also tried the aiptasia x and it generally did take care of the ones that I could treat, I would always seem to end up with more cropping up shortly thereafter. What did work for me was an absolute PITA. I took all of the rocks out and gave them a 3 to 5 minute dip in dilute peroxide. This was over a year ago and I have had absolutely NO aiptasia since then. It's a lot of work, but it does work.

I have two Peppermints and they chomped down all my pests except one large one. I took that rock out and gave it a fresh water bath for a few days. That seems to have taken care of it.

I've used peppermints with success, just make sure your lights are off when you add them. My large cinnamon clown killed both of mine last time I added a couple to combat a few. Kalk paste works really well too...I usually treat a few at a time, and get no ill effects

Back