Aiptasia Outbreak

Hip2Bsquare

I have been battling an aiptasia outbreak for 6 months now and I am loosing the war.
See picture.
35gal, pretty much FOWLR. Only other items are cheato, BTA, pulsing xenia, and green star polyp.
Things I have tried:
AiptasiaX - works great but over the course of two weeks used the whole bottle and was only a temporary reprieve.
Peppermint shrimp - have had 3 for about 3-4 months. They don’t seem to be the solution in my tank.

Any ideas? As it is all over the rocks and even the sand bed too.
93AFE9CE-7BCE-4093-BDB8-E5F8A3AAD99D.jpeg

Two large bottles of Aptasia X (500ml) and a syringe with long 1/16” clear ridge tube.
Once a week only, took 6 months but they are all gone.
You must be persistent, keep your solution close, and hit every time you see one.
You’ll win in the end.

Aiptasia-eating filefish, aka the matted filefish. Will work well in your 35 gallon, and your aiptasia will slowly disappear.

With that concentration, you could also try Berghia nudibranches - buy six or so, and you won't see them for several months, but "suddenly," you'll have less aiptasia.

Kevin

Thanks for the advice. Seems like prices have gone up for everything but here in Canada the LFS sells the 60ml AiptasiaX for $27.
That pretty much is the price of a Nudi and the filefish goes for $40.
Given how much the chemical route will cost (and require constant vigilance) I think I am going to try biological this time.
Thanks for the advice and weighing in!

With that big of an outbreak, and that size tank, I'd just do a re-do. Otherwise I'd recommend A LOT of peppermint shrimp - like 10. I've tried the nudibranchs. They're so expensive, I didn't get enough, so they didn't work out. The filefish works pretty well, but goes after other, desirable inverts too. So I removed it and the aiptasia came right back. Peppermints you can just add and forget. A couple months later and you'll be like,"didn't I used to have aiptasias?"

Good luck!

Back