Aiptasia X or Peppermint shrimp?

My problem now is that the peppermint shrimp are a pain in you know what. They steal food from my corals and even some of the more timid fish. I wish I could get the peppermints out.

Cover your corals with tupperware caps when feeding. Keeps various shrimp out.

Despite popular "knowledge" quite a few individual peppermint shrimp are coralivores.

That's news to me. I'm probably going to take mine back when the job is done, but I'll keep an eye on it. I guess if they can rip an aptasia to threads then certain corals wouldn't be that much different. TY.

Despite popular "knowledge" quite a few individual peppermint shrimp are coralivores.

Are we sure this statement is meant for true peppermint shrimps? I thought that sometimes another type of shrimp is commonly and mistakenly sold as peppermints when in fact it is a coral eater... from another region. Camel shrimp perhaps? Cant remember the type of shrimp or where its from though.

I had fantastic luck with peppermints. I see an aiptasia every now and again but I really don't mind. I know that the peps will make quick work of them in short time. I was up to maybe two dozen. Now I see maybe one every two weeks for a day or so. Usually gone by the times lights are back on the next morning.

That's news to me. I'm probably going to take mine back when the job is done, but I'll keep an eye on it. I guess if they can rip an aptasia to threads then certain corals wouldn't be that much different. TY.

Can and do are two different things. I am sure many fish could quite severely damage corals too if they "wanted" to.

Yes, I have seen peppermint shrimp eat certain corals. Mostly just Acans and a couple other LPS but never SPS, Zoas, or Softies. They, just like most shrimp, are opportunistic feeders. If you starve them they will go hunting at night for what ever they can find. In the Texas summer, we collect them in the hundreds at the Port Aransas Jetties during the night time. This was only my second time out there. Yes... That's 442 Peppermint Shrimp!!!

PortAPeps4-1.jpg

I started using Aiptasia X after reading some other thread, it was effective in killing the aiptasia, but I noticed small ones started to pop out after killing the big ones. Not sure if the spread is due to the use or maybe improper use of Aiptasia X.

Just had this problem! I bought to peppermint shrimp and they were all gone in two days. The largest one I had was about a 1/4" diameter.
I would use Kalk mix on the larger ones and get a few peppermint shrimp for the rest. I had some growing deep in caves and crack where u cant really reach. That's the problem with just using kalk on the ones u can see. I also had some small ones that you would never see unless u sat there and stared at the rocks like I did haha.

Every time ive used aptasia x they go away for a week then come back BIGGER! Peppermint work the best but only if you starve them alittle.

Aptaisia was becoming a real problem in both my sytems 100 plus in each. Tried all the remedies people are talking about but they kept coming back. with 700 gal reefs it was becoming a major pain. One of my local shops said get some molted file fish wich I did Got 2 for each tank 3 months ago slow at first but now cant find a single aptaisia in my system

I can't imagine why no one has mentioned Berghia Nudibranchs. A lot of people have had success with those guys also.

Back