algae growth after removing filter media

nabee24

A LFS had recommended that I put in matrix carbon and phosguard into my sump for 1 week every month. I have noticed that once I take it out, algae will start to grow on sand surface. Green algae and brown hair algae.
90 gallon tank - I use ro/di water for changes and top offs. nitrates, phosphates are 0. I have 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads, euro-reef protein skimmer rs80. Any suggestions?
• salinity 1.025
• temperature 78
• pH 8.4
• ammonia 0
• nitrite 0
• nitrate 0
• calcium 400
• alkalinity Low
• magnesium (if possible)
• any other tests you may have

Do you have a refugium? If not what is happening is you remove the media and all of a sudden you have some phosphates and nitrates available for algae growth. With a refugium you shouldn't need that media and you shouldn't have major algae issues unless you are overfeeding or overstocked.

I have been involved in this hobby for about 1 year. Orginially, my tank was only 30 gallons for about 9months. Then I purchased a 90 gallon tank in February. I transfered everything then. The 30 gallon is now my sump. So, I guess my tank is still new?

I would love to get a refugium. I'm deciding on if I should make one or if I should buy on. Still reading about them.

Tested 4/27, about 5 days after taking out the filter media. I used red sea (ph and alkalinity)and aquarium pharmaceuticals test kits for everything else.
Water change was done 4/27 and 5/1

Fuel for the algae probably comes from fish food and poop. If it works, why not just keep up with the routine your LFS suggested or maybe run it all the time?

I heard that keeping them in all the time will take out all the good nutrients as well. Is that true? The LFS said that I should take it out after 1 week becuase the poor nutrients will leak out of the media. If I would like to keep it in all the time, then I would have to replace it every week or two. Those things costs a lot but I will give it a try. Until I get a refugium. Then it's trial and error again.

i run phosgaurd until it starts to change colors. Goes from white to nicotine stained teeth yellow. I have been battling hair algea for awhile and after months of fiddling i finally installed a new skimmer and fuge. Since then i havent been running the phosgaurd and all the algea is turning brown and withering. When you changed tanks did you use ro water to fill it up or tap water? If you used tap that could have been your problem. When i upgraded i used up all my water and had to use tap, got a little diatom problem from that.

A friend of mine who has been reefing for years did it for me while I was at work. I bet it was tap water. Salt water made out of tap was cycling for about 3 months before my 30 gallon was transfered. What do you think about me getting a new skimmer? I currently have a EuroReef RS80, which is only intended for 90 gallons. I've heard people using skimmer twice the gallons of the tank. Should I replace mine? I want more corals.

i dont know about the skimmer. If you look around here there are a bunch threads about all different kinds. I just recently purchased an AE 135 recirculating and its working great for me. I have a 90 and 30 gallon fuge.

Back